Treadmill motors used on machine tools

Hi, I am wondering if any one has used the inexpensive DC Permanent magnet motors from a treadmill on machine tools. If you buy the speed control and heat sink and optional reversing switch it seems to be too expensive. Is there a cheap way to rectify the AC power? For my application on a wood lathe I would like to be able to reverse it along with the variable speed. Also would the wood dust bother one of these motors. They seem to be pretty well protected in the use they were designed for. One other question, do they set up Radio frequencys that bother TV or computers. Thanks to all and any that might have knowledge of this subject.

Reply to
Dennis Erdelac

I have used a lot of them over the years. Keep an eye out and speed controllers can be had pretty cheap, and most time you can get treadmill motors free. Check out exercise equipment houses for equipment they taae in on trade. Most times its free for the hauling.

Reply to
Huey Conway

I bought two brand new surplus 2 hp tread mill motors and they came with speed controllers for 50.00 each from Vega wood lathe manufacturing about a year ago. They had them on their web-site. They are supposed to run 0-5000 rpm. Haven't gotten around to use them on anything yet. Dick

Reply to
rhncue

Hi Dick, do you have a link for Vega wood lathe manufacturing? I googled a bit and came up dry, Thanks.

"rhncue" wrote in message news:09VAd.2342$ snipped-for-privacy@fe1.columbus.rr.com... I bought two brand new surplus 2 hp tread mill motors and they came with speed controllers for 50.00 each from Vega wood lathe manufacturing about a year ago. They had them on their web-site. They are supposed to run 0-5000 rpm. Haven't gotten around to use them on anything yet. Dick

Reply to
John Wilson

I found the site, but nothing on the motors.

Reply to
Rex B