progress on very bright flashing bkelight

I like the battery holder/circuit board setup. Do you have any other web pages on your light project?

Stephen R.

Reply to
S R

Looking great Don!

I can't wait to see what you come up with for a charger for those Ni-MH batteries. How about something hidden under the bike seat which will turn the jiggles from daughter's rides over those Gotham potholes into electricity? Maybe along the lines of those "shake me" flashlights?

The last line of the page you posted leaves me wondering:

"I'm down to the short strokes now. Tomorrow I'll assemble the flasher elex board which is also a disc that will be just above the contact board."

Because I never learned whether "short strokes" was intended to refer to the game of golf or the game of love. (Crude references to holes are not required.)

Happy and Safe New Year!

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Looks very nicely made.

Ignoramus25901

There's another page at

The light is a red Luxeon 1-watt LED: very bright. It compares favorably with the 1157 brake/turn light on my truck. It will flash about 3 times a second.

Reply to
Don Foreman

Looks nice. One nice bike light / generator system I've seen is here:

But, it sure is expensive. One of the local riders here in Charlottesville brought one of the hub generators into the bike shop where I hang out. It sure was nice, beautifully machined, but yikes, probably $500 before you have a decent system that works.

chas morrill

Reply to
Charles Morrill

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks for the info.. Don,

Stephen R.

Reply to
S R

For visibility at night (in the dark, not in well lit places like city streets) it's not so much BRIGHT that you want but BIG. Get that watt of LED spread out over 12 square inches or so (25 cheap hi-brightness LED's) and people will both see it and be able to judge the distance to it from much farther away.

How about a rotating equilateral triangle with 8" sides - make it with blades so air passing through makes it spin...everybody will notice that.

Reply to
jtaylor

The picture of the light that I've seen clearly shows a lens well made to diffuse the light in a wide arc. I can't help but think it will do exactly what you propose, or very nearly so, when viewed from afar. Don has given this project considerable thought and expended an equal amount of effort, right down to making a mold to make the lens. Can't wait to see it completed. I think he hit a winner.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Size does count. That's why the molded lens. The bare LED looked like a pinhole into hell and was difficult to localize. With the lens, it is instantly visible (as in attention-grabbing) when I come around a curve in the street 200 yards distant.

Reply to
Don Foreman