PENTAGRID and ELECTRIC MOTORS

This is a shameless piece of self publicity so I'll keep it short and to the point!

A long time ago I wrote a little book called "Electric Motors". It was meant to deal with the practical applications of a very wide range of motor types . It's run to ten reprints and sold over 30,000 copies so someone has found it useful !

I've recently updated it and added new sections covering both VFD operation and semiconductor commutated machines. It also covers motor operation on both European and North American type single and three phase power systems.

This second edition has reached the printing press and is now available from Amazon and all the usual outlets (ISBN 978 185486 133 7). The book carries my family name - Jim Cox although for some strange reason Amazon list it as the more formal V.J. Cox. If you find it useful there's also a companion book "Electric Motors in the Home Workshop".

Comments on these books would of course be welcome - even if they are of the variety "don't buy this book it's a piece of junk"!

Jim pentagrid

AKA Jim Cox AKA V J.Cox

Reply to
pentagrid

Jim Your two books have taught me more than I ever imagined I'd ever need to know about motors - and are, IMHO, essential reference works. The capacitor & relay 3 phase motor starting setup described in "book

2" that I built over 5 years ago is still going strong on the old Victoria mill - even after I sold the mill to a friend. The new one will be bought next week when I walk past Foyles and I hope that you get a fair share of the proceeds.

Thanks

Char;es

Reply to
Charles Ping

I have had a copy of "Electric Motors in the Home Workshop". for many years and found it a very usefull and interesting book.

Must put your new addition of "Electric Motors" on my birthday list.

Chris.

Reply to
rack2000

Keep up the good work Jim, I've got the Home Workshop one too and have found it very useful indeed.

Steve (Sheffield)

Reply to
Steve

Jim,

I have a copy of Electric Motors in the Home Workshop, and it was very useful when it came to converting a 3 phase to work with a single phase inverter. It was slightly less useful when trying to understand the role of the field discharge resistor in the Ward Leonard drive system I am trying to restore on a lathe, and seemed completely deficient in explaining if there was any use for the most common electric motor laying about in my workshop - the car starter motor.

Maybe your other book, or its new revision, covers a lot of this ? I am also curious about electric motor systems for hybrid vehicles (or even simple electric vehicles like milk-floats). Has you new book stretched into this area ?.

Excellent work though - please keep on explaining the mysterious to us. I wish you more success, and maybe this will encourage more people to share their knowledge with us in the future.

Steve

Reply to
Cheshire Steve

SNIP

SNIP

Hair shirt and deep apologies - the wrong ISBN nmber!!

The correct reference for the 2006 2Rev edition is :- ISBN-13: 978-1854862464

Some first edition copies are still circulating. The second edition is easily identified by the prominent inclusion of a Hitachi VFD in the new front cover illustration.

I am getting it corrected but the present Amazon flyer still incorrectly shows the old disassembled induction motor front cover.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

i think their all great , i have all 3 ,and really enjoy them .

im having a bit of trouble undertstanding the rpc ,but im sure ill ge it ! regards rober

-- ivanhoe

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ivanhoew's Profile:

this thread:

ivanhoew

HI Jim, If I bought your book would I be able to fathom how to connect the 2 motors that I recovered from 2 unused development washing machines?

They are evidently capable of variable speed and reverse.

Regards, Norman Willcox

PS a pity that I am not replying to Jim! Sorry!

url:

Norman Willcox

Not too sure of the etiquette in giving a Newsgroup reply to this query but since it may be of general interest I'll try.

You should find enough information in "Electric Motors" to identify the the type of motor that you have acquired. If they are the single phase induction motor or commutator types you should have no difficulty in finding how to connect and operate them.

Later washing machines use electronically commutated motors. These are also covered in the book but, unless you're an electronic expert, they're only usable if you can find and sort out the connections to the associated electronic controller.

If you live in the UK, both books are available at local public libraries so a quick read should tell you whether the books will solve your problem. The ISBN numbers are:-

Electric Motors 2nd edition 13 978 185486 246 4

Electric Motors Home workshop 978 185486 133 7

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

Jim/Norman,

I have recently come across this

which may be of interest. I have no connection with the chap and to be honest had dismissed it due to my feeling that washer motors are generally open frame and therefore unsuitable for most of our swarf generating hobbies. My preference is for TEFC 3 phase motors now that fairly cheap inverters are available.

hth

Bob

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to