What size is this piece of pipe?

I have a number of pieces of used pipe that are from about 1 to 3 feet long. I use them for braces, bushings, press fixtures, equipment stands, etc.. These pieces were drops that a guy who builds fences gave me many years ago.

For the first time, I need to get a piece threaded. The OD is 2.405". What the heck size is it? The OD spec. for 2" water pipe is 2.375" OD. If I take a piece to my local plumbing company, will they be able to thread it with their gear?

Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
Pete S

I believe that ASTM specifies a mill tolerance of 12.5%, so you should be within spec for your 2" nominal pipe:

Denis G.

NO, fence pipe is not real pipe. It's tubing made to non-standard sizes ( as far as pipe goes) Wall thickness is most likely too thin.

The 12.5% tolerance is on wall thickness, the OD is held much tighter.

Remove 333 to reply. Randy

Reply to
Randy333

It seems likely that this is a nominal 2-3/8" diameter galvanized end post for chain link fencing. Probably too thin-walled to be threaded with a water pipe thread.

If you need a short piece of similar (but thicker walled) threaded material you can probably just pick up a 2" iron pipe nipple at any real plumbing place.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

This is USED pipe, from some other application, not "fence pipe". I think the guy said that he got thousands and thousands of feet of it from some place in Texas. It is at least as thick walled as schedule 40 pipe. This guy makes all welded fences for horse people's pastures, mostly.

Thanks for your input, guys, Pete Stanaitis

Reply to
Pete S

Pipe cutting dies have a wide funnel to lead in pipe. The difference is .0255 or consider tick coating.

What will happen is a deeper thread will be cut - bringing the whole pipe into spec. The threads might be 90% or something not 65 or

70% sizing.

More coolant and lube but the machines should handle it.

Mart> I have a number of pieces of used pipe that are from about 1 to 3 feet

Reply to
Martin Eastburn