Dual drill bit?

I want to drill a piece of 3"IPS (3.5"OD) Sch. 80 wall steel pipe so that a 2"IPS (2.375"OD) pipe can go through it and also have the hole beveled for welding, is there such a drill available for purchase.

Reply to
Robert Dunham II

No.

There are stepped drill bits available. Most of them have the larger step ground square, like a counterbore, but you can find some with angled steps. Or have them ground that way by a sharpening shop.

Those will cut a hole plus a bevel, or countersink. They would work fine on a piece of flat plate. On a piece of pipe, though, all they would do is bevel the very top of the curve.

2.375" is a pretty good sized drill. And it's tough to drill through a piece of pipe without the bit grabbing. You might consider a hole saw instead.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Reply to
RoyJ

Plasma cutter and a template.

Reply to
Steve W.

Sounds like a core drill / Cole drill. Yea plasma fine cut edge but it might be messy - grind out and then weld.

If a drill was used then the hole would be cleaner.

Just wish I knew what IPS meant. Inches per second ? Inside ???

ID ok - IPS ?

Martin

Mart> Robert Dunham II wrote:

Martin H. Eastburn

I guessed it was Inside Pipe Standard (ID)

Plasma with a steady hand can leave a cut like glass.

Reply to
Steve W.

You can have any sort of tool like this ground by any decent cutter/tool grinder.

Probably cost about $250 including the stock drill they will grind down.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

gunner, I don't think any kind of custom bit will chamfer the hole the way he wants on an intersecting cylinder.

Reply to
Jon

Cylinder...cringe...absoutely correct. Not with an even chamfer around the hole. Nope. You are indeed correct.

It could be done on a CNC mill with helical interpelation (sp?) but not with a single hand tool, other than a die grinder.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Reply to
RoyJ