Trepanning D-2 disks

I have 12 each D-2 disks that are 1.050" thick that need a 4" bore. I want the inside pieces of D-2, they are great for small dies, jigs and other tooling. So, I'm trepanning the hole. I haven't seen any commercial trepanning tooling or core saws that fit my budget so I hand ground a number of bits using 1/2" square HSS tool bits and modified a big lantern-style tool bit holder to fit the quick-change post. I've only broke one bit but I learned to grind the bit with a very slight negative rake and very little relief. I'm feeding at about .025"/min. with mist cooling/lube. I cut .510" then flip the disk and cut another .510" then knock out the slug with a BFH. I've only got 3 disks done so far.

I ground the bits from some 60+ year-old bits. I have no complaints, I only have to touch the tip to a grinding wheel once per side of each disk. One of my engineers bought some new tool bits that are 5% and 10% Cobalt. Should I get better performance and higher feed rate or will the Cobalt be more likely to break?

This job is REALLY boring and anything to go faster would be appreciated. BUT, I haven't done it for years and it's kinda' nice to make chips again once in a while even though I get pulled away fairly often.

Also, I'm looking for an output hose and nozzle for a "Kool Mist" mister that somehow got lost. I can get a new one for about $20 but if someone has it for sale please let me know.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Man I stand in awe. I would have said no way can you trepan 1"+ deep in a hard material.

I would have used the mill. A CNC makes a job like this trivial. Maybe its time for you to learn, WAY easier than ladder logic. A rotary table is another approach. If you don't care if your knockout is a bit ruff, chain drill all the way around, then put in the same size endmill and milldrill between each hole. This goes way fast, drilling is the fastest way to remove material.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

You should get higher surface speeds, but not necessarily higher feed rates. Yes, they're more likely to break, but there should be no difference with a continuous cut. They're more brittle but they're at least as strong.

You probably could get better performance with a stiffer toolholder.

It's interesting that you found 5% cobalt square bits (M35 or T4?). I was looking fo rthem for years, because I inherited some and they worked great in my South Bend. I no longer have the need so I quit looking. M42 was too brittle for interrupted cuts on my SB. They chipped. I was cutting grooves in splined shafts.

If you get really bored, have them blanked with wirecut EDM. You're looking at about 1/2 hour per cut. Is your time worth $30 per blank?

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Plasma cut (CNC?) and then finish up? Plasma doesn't care about the hardness of the material, only the conductivity. Should take about 10 seconds per hole.

Reply to
Pete C.

I surface-ground the worn lower surface of the compound on my 10L so I could tighten the gibs to cut tapers, and solved several other looseness problems as well. The toolpost slot area and the two "OIL" pads gave enough distributed support on the mag chuck.

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

I trepanned a bunch of 2 inch discs in 1 inch 6AL4V titanium plate to save time. To avoid tool breakage when breaking through I trepanned from both sides. The face of the tool was ground at an angle so that when the disc broke free there was still a web to support the disc in the hole. Eric

Reply to
etpm

Oh boy, I SURE remember doing this job on the drill press! Then, on a very old lathe driven by leather belts, then drilling with up to 3" drills. I still have those big bits, thank God I haven't used them for many, many years. Thanks for the memories!

I would love a CNC mill, maybe someday...

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I figure my time isn't worth anything, I only spend about an hour or so a day on it so far. I have the tool holder fit perfectly to a quick-change so it's as rigid as can be, I learned THAT lesson long ago. Rigidity is KING! We remachined and ground the cheapie quick-change post and tool holders and replaced the metric fasteners with SAE but it is clearly at the limits for that toolpost, It's not the biggest one

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Would there be a heat-affected zone that would be hard? I still have to finish the bore with a boring bar and machine two slots for drive pins. The disks will be rotary knives for wire cutting.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Probably, but not likely that thick. Waterjet would probably do nicely without any heat, but it's certainly less DIY.

Reply to
Pete C.

I did something like this only with cast iron rounds, the outer 1" had been chilled by the continuous casting process, so was a real bear with normal HSS bits. I got some Tantung-branded bits, no more problems. The higher percentage cobalt HSS bits will hold an edge longer and/or will run faster, but only if you get the right geometry, they get more brittle the higher percentage Co you go. You could see the transition between the inner grey iron and the chilled area, the swarf went from grey powder to small shiny white curls. With HSS, that was where the bits went dull after a couple of revs. I like Tantung stuff for large internal threading, it means I don't have to stop mid-job, sharpen the bit and pick up the thread again. Don't even know if it's available now, has a lot of now-expensive elements in it that used to be a whole lot cheaper. A non-steel tool material. Touch it up with a diamond hone after grinding and your cut surface will be almost polished.

Stan

Reply to
Stanley Schaefer

I probably could tighten up my machine to that it would do better. But mine was never in commercial, military, or school service, so it's not worn. The frosting is still visible over the entire bed. It's been a lightly-used hobby machine since my uncle bought it as unused surplus, still in its navy Cosmoline in 1948.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Aha. Well, I'm sure you've figured out where any potential flexing may be in the toolholder, but a shop-made holder probably could be deeper and wider. And there's no reason to harden it; it wouldn't be any stiffer if you did. You could make it from 12L14 or 1018 and it would be as stiff as tool steel.

Good luck.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

The piece of D2 he's dicking around trying to salvage is worth about = $15.00 each--apparently, his time isn't very valuable....

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

If (when) I break another bit I'll try the 5%. I did get one more done today in just over 45 minutes. (between disasters)

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Nowadays, I do this sort of stuff with a CNC milling machine, milling out a helical spiral. I just give it a command and go away until it is finished, I do not care how long it takes.

Ignoramus20751

Show off!

Reply to
Tom Gardner