Triple Gloat!

I don't usually get to gloat over a purchase as I am normally buying for resale. This last week I went to an auction with the intent of buying some resale items and also tooling for our new Takisawa CNC lathe. The resale items weren't too exciting but I did manage to buy a drawer full of cylindrical type collet holders and Erickson style DA collets for about $100. Easily $700.-$800. worth of stuff all in new or near new condition. We now have drill/countersink/reamer holders in spades for the new lathe. They also offered a small cabinet full of near junk. There were no bids on it so they passed it. I noticed a Bosch box in the back and opened it to find a nearly new 16Ga. hand shear. I called my $10.00 bid to the auctioneer and he accepted it. I actually got some other stuff in the cabinet well worth my $10.investment. This morning a friend, who buys antique woodworking tools, stopped at the new house building site just a few minutes after I got there. He suggested I hustle over to a local swapmeet and look into a vendor who had a lot of serious machine shop tooling. Boy, did he! I bought a Schaublin lathe with multitudes of tooling, at least

50 pounds of modern carbide tooling, 90% was new, a bunch of nice precision measuring tools and some other stuff and spent about $1200. That may sound like a lot but I anticipate the carbide tooling I kept will be worth more then my whole investment. I am still trying to figure out how to use some of the accessories on the Schaublin. Leigh@MarMachine
Reply to
Leigh Knudson

What is it, I'm the only guy that's not getting a good deal today? All I managed to do is work in the sun all day.

Congrats on the great buys!

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Well, I went to the airshow today...

:-D

Geez Leigh, it's bad enough you give one gloat but three? Someone's going to stalk your house with a rusty butcher knife.

Tim

Tim Williams

I have some Schaublin manuals and accessories guides. Ill swing them by next week.

Model 102?

Gunner

That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there. - George Orwell

Reply to
Gunner

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 01:55:10 -0500, "Tim Williams" calmly ranted:

Grants Pass Muni Airport isn't large enough for the Tbirds, but I went to a local airshow yesterday, too. Air Eventure.

It was my first hot air balloon ride (free, 50' tethered) and was a lot of fun. A couple guys had built their own helicopters and ultralights from kits, and some guy had built (wunna them red Fokkers) a Red Baron replica triplane, complete with fake machine guns.

I paid for a ride in a Robinson R-44 Raven helicopter (very responsive though a funny-looking bird) and the ride was just too, too short.

'Twas a good day.

============================================================ Help Save the Endangered Plumb Bobs From Becoming Extinct!

Hilarious T-shirts online ============================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Cool.

Tim

Tim Williams

And it will probably be a knife that they got at a yard sale down the street... Wonder if there'll be a Gloat about the knife?

Reply to
Jim Levie

Thee weren't any butcher kives at the garage sale three doors down but my worker, Effrian, got a nice gas barbeque for $10. It even had a full tank of gas. That was about 10 minutes before I found out about the swapmeet. I called the swapmeet seller today as I am missing some of the parts of the Schaublin. He says there are 25 more boxes of the same stuff so I can go through them on Saturday. I got over a hundred brand new mill cutters, about half of which were carbide, a bunch of quality calipers and depth mikes, lots of carbide insert style boring bars and just too much else. I only went through maybe 4-5 boxes so I can't imagine what are in the other 25. Leigh@MarMachine

Reply to
Leigh Knudson

Sigh! Lucky stiff! :-)

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Make that 3 rusty-knife-wielding maniacs...

You lucky son of a gun!

Tim

Tim Williams