Value of an old lathe

I'm looking at an old lathe:

No name on it anywhere....could be South Bend, but no plates anywhere No quick change gearbox No cover over gears seems to be about a 9" swing, overall length is about 42" some surface rust runs, but motor can't handle starting with the belt tight.

3 jaw chuck, no collets, no drill chuck, bunch of cutting tools, tool holders, cut off tools. relatively tight I would say

Anybody got any idea what it's worth?

Reply to
J & J

J & J wrote in news:garDc.140$P%2.11 @news02.roc.ny:

Does it have the change gears? If not, you won't get to do any threading or vary the feed speeds. I personally wouldn't consider anything without a quick change gear box. There are so many of them out there.

Really depends on what you want to do with it. Harold is going to read you the riot act about rust. :-)

Sure would be better if you could give us a picture of what you are looking at. $200-$300?

Marty

Reply to
Marty Escarcega

Yum - a mystery machine. Post a photo. You could have a winner on your hands - or maybe not. I am from the old school - quick change - what in hell is that? I like to see those gears go 'round. I get immense satisfaction out of knowing the formulae for arriving at the thread I want and watching the machine actually produce them!. One of these fine days I will get my shit together and post a series of pictures of my (circa 1915) 13 inch South Bend - complete with all its warts. Rust? My lathe lives six feet above tidal salt water. It sweats in the summer and freezes in the winter - all guaranteed to produce rust. But it just doesn't (rust that is) suffer any degredation on its precision (cast iron) parts. 'Tis the joy of my life! Regards. Ken..

Reply to
Ken Davey