Turning an in-line set of wheels

I'm trying to figure out how to steer an in-line wheel scooter. The wheels must be in line and close together in order to smoothly traverse rough terrain.

So far, apparently that's by making the wheel frame flexible.

Here are some very simple stick figure drawings (included both BMP and JPG of the same thing):

Newsgroups: alt.binaries.phish Subject: in-line scooter drawing

The bar extending forward has to be flexible and strong. Whether or not it is a viable steering device will be determined. There will also possibly be some leaning to one side or the other involved when the bar is twisted left or right, maybe riding on either the left or right row of wheels. There are some functional complexities involved having to do with carving/turning and control of that action like on in-line skates and maybe other recreational devices. Ideally the metal will flex to a point and then resistance to flex will increase greatly. I guess that's the way most spring steel does? Or will it just deform? Maybe that's how a tension bar works (multiple layer flat bar steel)? Although I doubt that could be used. There might be some serious jarring pressure on the metal bar, so having a flexible and strong enough is necessary but might be difficult to achieve. The shorter the stronger, but that also means less flexibility. Fortunately, that piece of flat bar extending forward is easily replaced for trying various 1/8" thick metal bar.

There might be other solutions if this one doesn't work. The goal is to turn an in-line set of wheels efficiently using a simple design.

Thanks.

Reply to
John Doe