Software

Right! The U.S. needs more jobless!

Reply to
John B.

Right after re-electing King Ding Dong!

RogerN

Reply to
RogerN

I haven't had a Twinkie since I was 8 or so, and I didn't like them them. I can't stand anything like them or Wonder bread. No loss to me! I do feel for the owners...destroyed by the union.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I bet she has them delivered to the WH by the truck load, they go right to her ass.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Just her ass!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Some friends left some Twinkies and a loaf of beard on their boat (not intentionally.)

Came back months later to find a suppurating green mass of mold where the bread had been and (right beside it on the counter, so they said) Twinkies that looked fresh out of the package.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

"The unions" are not to blame for bad Hostess management.

The Bakery, Confectionery, Tobacco Workers and Grain Millers International Union however is to blame for going on strike after the company settled with the Teamsters, making it impossible for the company to continue operations.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Destroyed by bad management and the inability to develop new products that the market wants. Unions had nothing to do with the downfall of Hostess.

===

The unions repeatedly accepted pay cuts and other concessions.

Consumer demand for pre-sliced plain white bread and mass-produced individually wrapped sugar coated snack cakes has been on the decline for going on at least 2 decades now.

Rather than invest in new products and technology, management killed the golden goose and squeezed the last few eggs from it's dead carcass.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Dollars to doughnuts the jobs that were "lost" to the wonder bread shutdown will shortly be offset by increased employment at smaller, local bakeries who put out a higher quality product. that's baked on a twice daily basis, and who don't have excessive layers of dead weight in management and or shareholders they have to answer to.

Reply to
PrecisionmachinisT

Where are these "small local bakeries" I know of 10 different small bakeries, all of them now out of business due to govt. regulations, taxes, and the ever increasing cost of business.

Plus how many of these folks will now walk into a small bakery and expect $20.00+ an hour when most small bakeries pay min. wage?

That is another section of this that I haven't seen mentioned. I wonder what the actual job losses will be when you count up the losses in the supply and delivery chain on top of the companies direct losses.

Reply to
Steve W.

Software

Right! I understand that McDonalds has a lot of openings.

Reply to
John B.

Software

That is really exciting.... Unfortunately Strous, et al, must be newcomers to the dairy scene. I can certainly remember dairy operations very similar to their "organic" operation from my youth. You know, cattle fed on hay and silage harvested by the farmer himself, cattle turned out to pasture between milkings, etc.

Of course, back in those days you didn't have to pay extra to have someone stick a sign on the milk bottle that said "Organic" as is so common today.

I'm sure that you do know that the milk they are selling isn't "organic" in the sense that it is untreated "raw" milk.

Reply to
John B.

Small local bakeries are only relevant in serving a niche market looking for fresh goods, they will never be able to compete with two loaves of bread at Costco for $4.00. This is the way the industry is going:

ATP

You mean the gal who mandated starvation calorie levels for teenage school lunches, reminiscent of the Nazi death camps?

Christ>

All 400 pounds of her?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Wow, just like gramma used to make. She'd go to town once a year, on her miniature donkey. Go to the town grocery store, and buy an ounce of sodium stearoyl lactylate and bring it home, to make the Christmas twinkie. Ah, the memories.

.

Twinkie ingredients:

"Enriched wheat flour, sugar, corn syrup, niacin, water, high fructose corn syrup, vegetable and/or animal shortening ? containing one or more of partially hydrogenated soybean, cottonseed and canola oil, and beef fat, dextrose, whole eggs, modified corn starch, cellulose gum, whey, leavenings (sodium acid pyrophosphate, baking soda, monocalcium phosphate), salt, cornstarch, corn flour, corn syrup, solids, mono and diglycerides, soy lecithin, polysorbate 60, dextrin, calcium caseinate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, wheat gluten, calcium sulphate, natural and artificial flavors, caramel color, yellow #5, red #40.[8]"

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

All this time, I thought it was government over regulation killing the economy. So, my purchase and consumption of Hostess was the cause of unemployment?

.

Better jobs would be created if Americans paid more attention to and cared more about what they ate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I expect China to produce similar product, which will soon be sold in Walmarts, and Harbor Freight.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I love it. All the melamine you can eat and a bunch of free Harbor Freight flashlights.

Reply to
MadHatter

A kindred spirit. We speak the same language.

.

I love it. All the melamine you can eat and a bunch of free Harbor Freight flashlights.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No, just diabetes...

Reply to