Survey - Inhouse Training of Employees

To All:
    Does your shop tend to train existing employees for more complex positions, or just hire more experienced employees?
[ ] Tries to train existing employees.
[ ] Hires more experienced employees.
[ ] Does both.
[ ] Does neither.
Comments - Advantages/Disadvantages of training existing employees?
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

[X] Tries to train existing employees.

I think most of them were trained in the outhouse, not the inhouse.

Was told that the policy is to hire the talent that we need vs upgrading existing staff.
Advantage, you might get what you want quickly.
Disadvantage, everyone knows they are pigeonholed for life.
Right now though with downsizing to match sales, a lot of people are being stuffed into slots or handed another hat just to keep the operation running.
Wes

We avoid hiring altogether but when needed we hire non-experience kids off the street and give them some experience--usually lasts 6 months maybe a year then things slow down and so I send them back onto their own merry little paths.
Too small sample being less than a dozen total and the time period almost two decades but...
So far, appx 70 % has ended up continuing on with the trade--with at least a couple of them going on to excell at it--immediately taking employment with multi-national corporations from the gate.
Beats having them become employed as a bus-boy or dishwasher and for less money I suppose.

You mean employees are actually trainable?
John

John wrote:

John:
    Sure, just don't hire anyone over 35. Just kidding....... mostly. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Back in the mid 80's, there was a shop in Odessa that would not hire anybody under 40. Everybody there was nearly as grumpy as me.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Is Odessa near Bumfuck? ;>)
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA http://www.jonbanquer.blogspot.com /

Just a hop, skip and jump down the road.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

I personally fail to understand how it is bad to train employees to do more. Expanding your value by expanding your skills makes everybody better. I hate dealing with places that can't perform an advertised function because the one key employee isn't available.
Later,
Charlie
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 09:51:44 -0700 (PDT), Charlie Gary

----------- Short answer: as soon as the trained employees learn something they want more money. If your operations are built around organic robots or trained monkeys this is an unnecessary expense.
It is clear that from your question you are still using the old business model that posits if you want more pie, then bake a bigger pie.
The current model is that if you want more pie, take what someone else has and you can have more, even as the pie gets smaller (and it tastes twice as good knowing you screwed somebody out of their share).
Smart people ask too many questions.
I provide free training on weekends at our shop for a very few select group of idiots in the LA area who think purchasing cheap Chinese Kurt vise knock-offs at auctions makes sense.
I do it out of the kindness of my heart as an act of community service.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA http://www.jonbanquer.blogspot.com /
On Wed, 8 Apr 2009 23:55:27 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
You training them on how to ignore for more than a year the oil gage on your automatic oiler, you know, the one that you say always reads Zero?
Do You train them to run VMC's and ignore tools that always bang out of the spindle and randomly shoot through the carrousel and into the work area like yours?
You train them on how to operate machinery by ignoring daily operator checks like you do?
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz