AutoCAD Training Survey

Hello fellow cad gurus.
I am an experienced cad manager and I want to share my collective cad knowledge with you. I have over 10 years exoperience using autocad
every day.
I want to create some sort of training product to help new users become more familiar and more efficient with Autocad.
I was wondering if you can help me out by completing the following survey, I don't have anything to offer to you right now. I will give everyone who truthfully answers the following questions a beta copy or limited free trial of the final product. It just depends on what the final product is.
1. What are you looking for in an Autocad training product?
2. Have you ever purchased Autocad Training Materials before?
3. What did you think of the product?
4. What type of problems or frustrations are you having with Autocad training materials right now?
5. What are you looking for to solve your problems?
6. If I had a product to answer your problems, what type of materials would you like?     A. videos     B. audio     C. Workbook     D. ebook     E. other/please explain
Thank you for your time.
Sounds good to me...

The existing help files, with links to other relevant entries, is very helpful, at least to me.

No. I'm a dabbler and learn by clicking on everything (usually more than once) and asking specific questions in newsgroups.

Needed a little paprika.

My problems always involve some system variable or another, attributes or customisation.

Good old fashioned text. Those animated pointer-moves-by-itself thingies are nice, but are rarely useful after 2 weeks of operating the program. A few diagrams or screenshots are fine for me.

-------------> D. ebook ---> Something I could pop in the CD player WHILE learning.

10-4 Rubber Duck. Negative persperation. Dr Fleau over and out.
are you looking to train people or make a buck or both? I've been a cad manager for little longer than you & have seen many guys come & go.. there are a lot of different types of cad jobs & one training program isn't going to fit more than a few applications, if any. for me ACAD is mostly a layout tool. My drawings are raw & I don't follow many standards. I 'd bet my left nut no one could turnout sheetmetal parts from concept to installation any faster. most of the guys we hire are good "draftsman" meaning someone needs to tell them exactly what to put on the paper. virtually helpless to point to a part & say "here's a tape measure, make me a shop drawing". when I get stumped, I ask one of the others if they know or I come here... everyone does things differently, I have learned mostly on my own but also know I can always pick up a new trick here & there from others just by watching them for a bit.
I'm looking to help people to improve their AutoCAD skills by theching them some tips/tricks/ techniques etc. I'm trying to get a feel of the type of help people need so I can create a product that people will actually use.
longshot wrote:

going
layout
I 'd bet my left

needs
I'll take that bet and do it with a few Journeyman Union Sheetmetal hands I know without ANY DAMN DRAWINGS OR HAVING TO RUN IT THROUGH an "ENGINEERING/DESIGN PROCESS" I'tll be faster, correct and FIT!!!!!!!!!! Furthermore, it can have 1 bend/breaks or 10 bends/breaks By the time the damn engineer gets out to the field, pulls measurements, gets back to the office, makes the .dwg, routes it out for approval, routes it to the vendor, a few guys I know would have the damn piece built & installed. Essentially, <400$ instead of 6500$
Realworld: Design a cricket for the following: A 1:12 pitch roof, 40' long intersecting a vertical wall at the eave. The vertical wall (also a 1:12 pitch) is 22' long and runs from zero elevation @ 1 end (eave of the 1:12 roof) to 3' at the other. The cricket needs to encompass (pass over the top of by 2" min.) the intersecting vertical wall from 0 elevation (eave of the 1:12 roof) to the 3' elevation. The cricket needs to maintain any slope 1:12~6:12~9:12~12:12 etc in so long as it extends to 45% (18') of the length (eave to peak/not peak to eave) of the 40' 1:12 pitch roof.(No more/no less/plus~minus 1") and fully encompasses the 22' lf vertical wall from zero to 3' elevation. The cricket also needs to split in the center (11') to divert water down both sides. The cricket WILL NOT EXTEND past the 22lf of the vertical wall. The cricket WILL HAVE a 2" lap at the peak incorporated into it and broke to fit for weathertight seal.
The pieces will be produced from 4'x10' 18 ga. galv. sheets as large as possible. Sheet breaks/laps are 2" min & can only be in the vertical plane. Underside framing is excluded from the design.
The Journeyman Union Sheetmetal hand I hired worked this out in 40 minutes in the field & had the pieces made in 4 and a half hours by himself. No dwgs, no engineers & no shit! Pine Bluff Arsenal Chemical Burner, Pine Bluff Ak. I''ll send anyone a rough dwg. that wants to take a stab @ it...................and I'll take your left nut in the process & I'm NOT paying the bill to get it. But I do have a razor knife I'll loan you....................
Dan

. Start by getting rid of the ridiculous notion that they must learn 2D before graduating to 3D... when in fact most of us had to learn, the hard way, to convert our 3D real world into the artificial 2D orthographic drafting requirements. Had we been able to think in xyz coordinates on paper way back when the world would be years ahead of itself in innovation.
When I sat down at my first CAD station, Computervision's CADDS 4X, it was like I had met God face to face. Insert line, insert circle, project entity!
I'm still struggling with AUTOCAD 2000.... so anything you come up with should, I believe, emphasize 3D thinking and not scaling, and not automatic four place precision when converting to drafting mode for the shop. And always include an iso image!!!!
On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 18:48:31 GMT, "Wayne Lundberg"

Awful hard to make training materials for Acad unless its very job specific. Some places are "Get er done" and out the door production types while others are "Dot all the i's and cross all the tee's" at all costs.
I'd recommend a short book with examples of you're techniques.
matcad wrote:

I can tell you what I would tell people first.
IT'S A DATABASE !
Look at the responses you get in this room. It's a friggin' tool. You want to write a training tool for a hammer? You MUST know what the people will want to DO with the hammer.
There IS NO WAY TO PROGRAM THE UNEXPECTED. And even I am not arrogant enough to tell other proffessionals how to do their job.
A draftman cannot replace his engineer. The guy who has made sheet metal all his life will know things you will never conceive. How you going to teach what you don't know?
The thing a draftsman CAN do to be more, is to understand the concept the proffessional may not. Like I said, it's a database. Manipulate your data. Be effecient in organizing your data.
Know the 1's & 0's on the hard drive that produces the paper. Let others read the paper. BE A GEEK.
(no spell checking was employed in this abuse of the King's English.) and if you think engineers can spell, you're hopeless. we do numbers.