Toronto, CAD prospects and training...

Can anyone recommend the best training schools in Toronto for AUTOCAD training? Also, is the job market good for trained people and what about the future outlook?

I appreciate ANY help with this as I am making at a career turning point...

Reply to
inquiring minds

i live in albeta so i can't speek for cad schools in toronoto area

however regarding a drafters future in autocad, there is always going to be a demand for "cad monkeys" as they are called in the industry.

we know this simply based on this principle: a lot of engineers and arhcitects don't like do draft.

they are to busy with other tasks to draw. and besides if you are trained and skilled in cad you'll be better @ it then they will.

now, the future is unpredictable, and the future may not be purely autocad or autocad based programs, however its all about adaptability. and even if you learn atuocad through and through and in 5 years the industry standard in now a program that is not autocad based, the princaples of digial drafting are set and you can apply concepts to otrher programs.

i would recomend takign a good autocad or autocad based program (like EDDT program in the university college of the cariboo [ucc] in kamloops bc) to learn autocad based programs as well as other essential skills in different fields (ie architectural, strutual, mechanical, civil, elec, etc etc).

thats my two sence.

by the by CAD is a good industry for at least jump starting a good career.

rock on!

Rembmer: Its not work! Its AutoCAD!!

Adam

Reply to
Adam B

Hi from Toronto! The first question I would ask myself when changing careers is

What do I wasn't to spend much of my waking doing?

Is it sitting at a computer and drafting?

If the answer is no, then look on....

As for the market, right now anybody who can draft can find a job, and people who can't draft are getting on-the-job training. However, my business (architecture) is very cyclical, and the current conditions are NOT the usual state of affairs.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I meant "waking hours" doing. Wait. That's not English either.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Thanks for the responses, just wondering how long a decent AUTOCAD course should take, full time... And, what is the most popular 3d software, I keep seeing ads for Vectorworks and Solidworks...

Anyone have a top 10 list of best apps?

Reply to
inquiring minds

Do you care at all what you are going to be drawing?

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

I would like to work on organic structures, maybe medical 3D illustrations, or else just product design.

Reply to
inquiring minds