Upside-down drill press

Use one of these in the righ size to cover the open end of the chuck after making a hole for the drill. It will keep everything out of the chuck.

Michael A. Terrell

Motors made to be mounted with the spindle in a vertical position have angular contact bearings to compensate for the weight of the rotor pushing along the motor rotor axis.

John

Reply to
John

I have. Several: sewing machines, vacuums, washing machines, old 1/3 to 3/4hp AC motors, etc. Only the ones with pressed-on bearings didn't have some kind of thrust washer and/or oil-impregnated felt. I haven't been inside any multi-horse motors, though.

-- Life is full of obstacle illusions. -- Grant Frazier

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Shop vac works well, too. (during is better, but after works)

-- Life is full of obstacle illusions. -- Grant Frazier

Reply to
Larry Jaques

And, come to think of it, I only took apart horizontal mount motors.

Ignoramus15362

They look like prophylactics for Threshing Machine accident victims.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I think it will be important for me to take the motors apart and inspect. I don't think of these things so I ask!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Smaller ones are used to seal the ends of elecrtical wire & coax. they are similar to the molded rubber caps for vacuum lines, but they don't dryrot. I have some that are over 25 years old that are still good.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Not if it's a powerful one with a long hose that lets the canister be in another room... and you forget to install the filter after a water removal process a few weeks earlier.

...don't ask how I know this. :)

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill

[ ... ]

[ ... ]

Perhaps -- but don't take apart stepper motors or permanent magnet motors. You can significantly degauss the permanent magnets by doing that -- same as for magnetic chucks.

Why not just push and pull on the motor shaft to see how well it handles the gravity loads?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Ah, good point!