Uses of "structural tube" with thick walls

"Ignoramus21956" wrote in message news:P9edncCPZoIyMo7MnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com...

Jim Wilkins

"Michael A. Terrell" on Wed, 06 Feb 2013

22:11:54 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Good Lord, just how big do the peas get around there?

pyotr filipivich

They are just regular sized, but no one wants to wait for them to thaw. Have you ever seen a cubic yard of frozen peas? ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 09 Feb 2013

17:24:37 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Thank God, no! Can't stand peas thawed either. Ick.

pyotr filipivich

Pea soup with smoked turkey wings or ham is nearly the best thing !

Reply to
Transition Zone

I've told this story before, but in shortened form:

A high-school buddy of mine had a knack for landing the shittiest jobs I'd ever heard of. He was a "Scum Scraper" at Bloomsburg Knitting Mills -- I won't describe that one.

But he left that job for one that he thought would be better. He was an "inspector" at a can-labelling plant, one that probably was built

100 years ago.

His job was to inspect incoming cans of peas on the conveyor, about three stories high in a barn-like structure that was around 120 deg. F in July, and to "disable" the ones that were bulged, before they got to the labelling line.

"Disabling" meant poking a hole in top of the can with an ice pick. Stinking green foam -- it smelled more like pig shit than peas -- would then spray all over his face. I assume it was pathogenic as well as stinking. All the time he had that job I would not let him into my car. I actually made him walk about two miles home once.

The last time I talked to him, around 10 years ago, he still had not eaten a pea, and swore he never would.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Some story. Remind him to help organize a union there for a better workplace, better pay and benefits.

The United Food and Commercial Workers International Union

Buy Union Before its too late!

Reply to
Transition Zone