using a four jaw chuck on a lathe

Correct on both counts. But useful when you need something non-concentric.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Depends on how accurate you need to be. If your stock is oversized, you don't have to center very accurately. Frequently you can do that by looking at the marks on the chuck and using a tool bit to show which side is high. If you need better accuracy, you will need to use an indicator. Using an indicator you can get as good as your indicator will allow, which is much better than any scroll chuck.

Lathe chucks are accessories. The more you have the better! I have 3 jaw, 6 jaw, 4 jaw (both independent and dependent) for some of my lathes. Choose the right tool for the job!

chuck

chuck

Reply to
Chuck Sherwood

Thanks. I have several chucks (i believe, 3). I will take them out of my truck tonight and check them out.

Ignoramus14555

You have a chuck truck? What the...heck?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Haha. My truck has quite a few pieces of mill/lathe tooling in it, such as chucks, collets, indexing head, boring head etc. I brought home a mill and a lathe yesterday...

Ignoramus14555

Ah, kind of like the trunk of my car, which currently has an 8 and a

12 pound sledge, a Sawzall, a half-full box/roll of 7mil visqueen, a 40' length of LMR-400 (WiFi) cable, firefighting gear, an EMS kit, and Windows XP install media.

And that's just this week's projects...

Reply to
Dave Hinz

mine has some fishing gear, some boards, some chains, an indexing head, many tarps, some food (brazil nuts), an entrenching tool/shovel, and towing gear...

Ignoramus14555

Forgot to say, I actually have two nice 3 jaw chucks for simple projects. The seller included them. So, I have a 4 jaw chuck, which I do not care for, for now, and 2 three jaw chucks.

Ignoramus14555

E.

That's the procedure I use (plain paper works fine) for setting threading tools. You can't see the fit of your tool in the gage nearly as well by simply looking at it. Slight gaps show up nicely by this method. All I do is shade the tool and gage, so the only light comes from beneath the part, off the paper. Works very well.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I refuse to discuss my F150 with the cap. I don't _like_ being embarrasse= d.

Again, thanks for all the help and comments guys.

--=20 Will R. Jewel Boxes and Wood Art

power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those=20 who have not got it.=94 George Bernard Shaw

Reply to
WillR

come on... tell us, is that 1,000 used condoms or what?

Ignoramus32621