Using microwave xmfr for resistance soldering?

The reply from ERich sums it up well. The explanation of swapping the primary leads of one transformer will be easier than jumpering the heavy gauge secondary leads.

The main factor of knowing when the secondaries are phased properly for this application, is because the secondary conductors will be heavy gauge conductors, and this could pose a physical parts layout problem (particularly if you've already chosen an enclosure for your project). The phasing factor is a result of the direction that the windings are wound around the core. Since it's undetermined (because the primaries were existing windings and usually covered), although it's not really important since you're working with two xfmr cores and you'll be adding your own secondaries.

The phase can be checked by winding a few turns of any small conductor on the cores. Two secondary leads from separate xfmrs are connected and two are left separated. When the test confirms that you've got the leads connected correctly, you'll want to wind your secondaries in the same direction as the test windings, and you'll want the four primary windings to retain the same relationship to being paired together.

If you dont have your secondary windings wound yet.. A low voltage test light will light (6 to 12V) when connected across the open leads when the windings are not correctly connected or out-of-phase for the application you want. This is the unwanted maximum current condition that ERich mentioned. This lamp test will show how the the xfmrs are phased. You would probably want your secondary windings to be wound for your convenience, in that the leads can be attached in parallel to the soldering unit's output cables or terminals, without any leads needing to be much longer than the other set.

You can bond the xfmr frames to the unit's safety earth ground in the event of a component failure.

WB ................

Reply to
Wild Bill

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 00:44:17 -0400, "Wild Bill"

Just a few comments.

If you are paralleling secondaries be very sure that you are using identical twin transformers - even a tenth of a volt difference in turns per volt will result in large circulating currents.

Phasing is no big deal. Join together one end of the two secondaries and link the two free ends with a short bit of 10A fuse wire or thin flex. Apply power. If nothing happens it's OK to parallel the two windings. If the fuse wire disappears reverse the connections to one of the primaries.

Jim

Reply to
pentagrid

^^^^^^^^^^^ Given the duty cycle, it can be ran "safely" at a rather abhorrent current density. By "safely" I mean, if it melts, hell with it. Make another.

Tim

Tim Williams

Reply to
Don Foreman

How about superconducting transformers? I've got to imagine it's been done by now, unless iron loses its ferromagnetic properties at low temperatures (reverse-curie temp? heh). In that case, the wire can be microns in diameter, thousands of turns can be applied in a very small area, while still maintaining a high current density due to the material.

Tim

Tim Williams

Umm, no. There's a surprisingly low critical current density where the superconductivity disappears.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

As I recall the critical field is up around 20T in the tougher superconductors, I don't know what field is present at and slightly inside the conductor's surface for a given current and diameter though. Suppose I should drag out our old friends Biot-Savart and Mr. Integral...

Tim

Tim Williams

That sounds pretty neat. Pls keep us posted on your work with superconducting transformers. I am not competent in that technology.

I hope Eric Snow also keeps us posted on his progress with resistance-soldering. I'm interested in learning from Eric's discoveries because I may be able to understand them and apply them.

Reply to
Don Foreman

It looks like next week I'll know about this latest project. Stay tuned... ERS

Reply to
Eric R Snow