Varmint Al's pages

I tripped over these web pages from a retired machinist. Interesting stories about his Father's welding biz and working there:

And some nice mods on his mini-lathe:

Enjoy, Chris

Reply to
remove nospam

in 2000, Al's web page pushed a a mini lathe. [I got one and it is crap]. He pushed a Tasco World Class Plus scope. [I got one, and it is crap]. He also got me to anneal brass with a flame until the brass glows. [I did it and it is too hot]. He got me to buy a 17HMR. [Not as good as a .223.]

But I do like his idea for cleaning dies with Flitz and a Q tip. [I have done it.] I do like his idea for chamfering case mouths with steel wool in a Copper pipe fitting in a lathe. [I have done it} I do like his chart of 4140 RC hardness vs yield strength [I use this] I do like his chart of cartridge brass hardness vs strength I do like his method of comparing the finish of Flitz vs JB [I have done it] I do like the idea of shooting ground squirrels. [Again, the .223 is better].

Reply to
Clark Magnuson