Marketing

I'm curious to know if anyone is having success marketing their metalwork on the Web. I am thinking about putting up a Web site for something that I make. I would like to look at other people's Web pages and know how they are doing. Thanks.

Jack Runyon

Reply to
Jack Runyon

Dunno but if you need hosting, let me know. I'm not making much if any profit doing it but I have a hosting account.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I have some relevant successes. For example, see my page on custom adapters for mounting digital cameras on older microscopes and medical instruments:

I have written a lot of Web pages about a lot of technical projects, but only a few have ever drawn the kind of interest where people send you checks in the mail for stuff you haven't even finished yet. This was one of them. Another:

I could sell parts for these things all day long if I wanted. As it is, I snip a little resistance wire off bulk spools and mail it to people who are grateful for the instructions and parts to fix a surprisingly common broken-wire problem. Actually, I just print the paperwork and have my teenagers do the fulfillment. Nice little job for them.

Several people have told me they make a living just from my links to their parts sales businesses from my Web page on fixing garage door springs:

Thousands of people, many of whom are ready to buy parts, read that every week. It seems if you provide sound analysis of technical problems, that you attract people who want to buy stuff. Imagine that. Unfortunately, the liability aspect has inhibited me from exploiting that little potential biz personally. Maybe I need a good insurance agent.

Half of the job in metalworking is credible sales, and that means drawings, models, and photos that look like you know what you're doing. Fie on bloated, meretricious Web pages. Give me information in a tombstone format. The more, the better.

Google cred helps. Google consistently rewards you for heaps of genuine content published over years of time, and defies gaming the ranking system.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch