I need plans for a lathe bit grinding jig like this? Can a Home Shop Machinist help me out?

I want to build a lathe bit grinding jig like this one shown at ebay. So I'm looking for some Home shop machinist plans that I can follow. I've spent some time googling but could not find anything similar.

|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318 Thank you in advance Rod San Francisco

Reply to
rodjava

|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318>

There are plans for a similar jig in the Village Press book "The Shop Wisdom of D. E. Johnson", pp 2-4. The book is a collection of the articles Johnson wrote for Home Shop Machinist over the years, so the article also appeared in HSM some time ago.

Johnson uses a Jergen's square hole sleeve (MSC sells them) to hold the bit, so unlike the commercial unit, his jig is good only for one size of bit. If you need two sizes of bit, you'll have to build two jigs.

Village Press used to sell copies of old articles at a reasonable cost per page. Don't know if they still do. And you'd probably need the original HSM article reference, though they might be nice and copy the three pages from the book. If you're near a library, there's also Interlibrary Loan which can borrow books for you from other libraries, though it may take time for the system to find a library with a copy of Johnson's book.

Tove

Reply to
Tove Momerathsson

|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318>

It looks simple enough....a square based block (cube) with a square hole in it of proper size and a 360 degree dial on the end. There's probably a setscrew to lock the bit into the holder and the holder into the block at the proper angle.

I'm still thinking you may need the tilting table to get the proper rake.

Reply to
Al Patrick

Tove, Thank you for the reference. It's a alternative if no other plans are available online and for free. I'm still hoping another HSM will come through.

Rod

Reply to
rodjava

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. I thought it out and here is what I plan to do.

Since I already have all sizes of 5c square collets, I bought a 5c collet block on Ebay for only $25 and will use the way the jig I mentioned works. I can easily mill the 10 degrees on at the end of one side. Now I will have the best of both worlds. A indexable 5c collet block and lathe bit grinder jig. Oh yeah, I also get a hex body besides the square body!

|65:1|39:1|240:1318 Rod San Francisco

Reply to
rodjava

|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318>>

Nah , just rotate the holder to the correct angle , hold the block at an angle to the stone . Rotation in two axes can produce an exact angle in the third . That's how trim guys cut the miter angles in crown mold that's laid flat in the saw .

Reply to
Terry Coombs

Rod:

Here are a couple of drawings for tool grinding jigs.

Errol Groff

Reply to
Errol Groff

Here is an example of a tool holder for grinding lathe cutting tools, which is a fabricated deep broach in a section of round stock, clamped in a rectangular block which allows for any desired angle setting

WB ......... metalworking projects

|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318>

Reply to
Wild_Bill

Thank you all that responded to my question. My use of a 5c collet block and square collet is working out perfectly! I hope to post a picture of it in use in the near future.

Rod

Reply to
rodjava