Vehicle battery question

There's an old motor home on our property we want to get rid of. It was driven into place about three years ago. Apparently, no one checked the
batteries, and they are all dried now, I would guess fried. Can one fill with electrolyte, charge, and hope for a Hail Mary? Or just go get new batteries........ three of them.
Steve
Add pictures here
✖

You only need one to drive it out. Fat chance getting a dried out battery back to life.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 25, 9:42 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Actually, I have had some success rinsing out the battery with lots of water and agitation, and then refilling with electrolyte. Or, Steve could just pick up a junk yard battery. I assume this doesn't have to work for very long.
Add pictures here
✖

We use services of a business that exchanges dead car batteries for "reconditioned" batteries, at the cost of $20 per battery. They have some procedure of reconditioning them to usable condition.
✖

By the way, the guy who brings the batteries to us on an old flatbed pickup truck, is a banker. A former banker. This is his new job.
✖
message >>

Bank officer or bank employee?
After the mid-80's stock market crash this joke went around:
I spoke to my broker at lunch the other day. I said, "Waiter!"
jsw
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/26/2012 8:49 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Given propensity of banks to hand out titles instead of paychecks, they're generally one and the same... :)
The new layers of bureaucracy and reqm'ts on reserves have certainly hit small, local banks very hard, though...even though they weren't ever part of the problem to start with. Several rural ones here have closed leaving no local presence; not a good thing... :(
✖

I talked to him, I like to talk to people, he is a former banker, more specifically, loan officer at Wells Fargo bank. Laid off a few years ago. Delivering reconditioned batteries to customers is his current job.
✖
message news:vrOdnUj-

During high tech slowdowns I've fixed wheelchairs, built theater scenery and repaired the caterer's medieval-surplus kitchen equipment (in costume) at a Renaissance Festival. Anyone need wrought-iron refrigerator door hinges?
jsw
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/25/2012 8:35 PM, Steve B wrote:

"Get rid of" as in junk it or "get rid of" as in try to find a sucker???
If it's the former, given scrap prices these days there should be no shortage of takers to just come and haul it off w/o you doing anything whatever to it (and give you something for it besides).
✖

Crazy Ray now pays $400 for any car, any condition.
✖

You need to find a better scrap yard.
✖
On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 01:49:29 -0700, the renowned Gunner Asch

Apparently the wholesale price for shredded scrap is in the $335-350/LT range right now, and dropping somewhat (along with other commodities).
Best regards, Spehro Pefhany
✖

    Maybe we can start selling it tot he Japanese ...
--
pyotr
✖

    I had in mind the scrap steel, but they might be willing to buy up California.
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr
✖
pyotr filipivich wrote:

That was one of the causes of the Japanese attack on the US during W.W II
Add pictures here
✖

The cars are first stripped of gasoline, Freon & platium; then sit in the yard for "n" weeks while folks like moi pick them over.
They they are crunched and carted off. At $187/ton; the 4400#'s of steel Mercedes 450 SEL I saw musta been a steal..
✖

Water may evaporate but the acid doesn't. You could fill it barely above the plates with distilled water and see if it accepts current from a 'dumb' non-computerized charger that doesn't just give up on it. If it does charge the liquid level will rise. Generally you'd need an adjustable laboratory power supply to coax a little more life from them.
If the water could somehow get out (it froze and cracked?) it's likely that the exposed plates have oxidized and are ruined. Can't you borrow a battery from another vehicle?
jsw
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 26 Jun 2012 10:25:51 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

If he has good (or even decent) jumper cables he might just need to jump start it and drive it off.
Add pictures here
✖
On 6/26/2012 7:47 AM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

How does the voltage regulator work? Unless it limits the peak voltage, there's likely gonna be some stress applied to the electrical system. Another problem is that when the RPM drops below the voltage level sufficient to make spark, it's all over.
Add pictures here
✖