Very cheap event counter

A friend asked me for a design to make a counter using logic chips and digit displays. That could certainly be done ... but I had another
idea that looked both cheaper and easier.
Pedometers are readily available for under $10. I had one from AxMan surplus for about 3 bux. It can count steps, has a 4-1/2 digit LCD display that can count up to 39999. What's inside is a little pendulum with a magnet that actuates a reed switch. If leads are stuck on the switch so it can be remotely located, then a magnet on a pump shaft, door, gate, etc could actuate it -- or, a TTL pulse from a sensor could actuate a jellybean transistor connected across the reed switch wires.
I tried it. Works fine at low rates. 5 or 6 counts per second (300 to 360 per minute) are about as fast as it wants to go -- but whaddya want for 3 bux? <G>

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:18:23 GMT, "Carl Boyd"

Made a programmable odometer for the old rallye car years ago using a manetic reed switch and a calculator. Punch in the factor, and the reed swith closed the contact for the += key. Each turn of the wheel was a decimal fraction of a mile or KM.

Good idea! I grew up in Roseville and used to ride my bike to the AxMan when I was a kid. It was (and aparently still is) a neet store. I haven't found a good substitute in the Orlando area.
Carl
Carl Boyd wrote:

Orlando? Nobody lives in Orlando! :) I used to work as a broadcast engineer at WACX TV, but I lived on the North end of Lake County. Skycrap definitely isn't a real surplus store. A lot of their stock is priced higher than you can buy it for new, with a warranty. There were two other surplus stores about 15 years ago, but they are long gone. Another moved to the Carolinas about 109 years ago. The owner of that store was a retired E.E. who knew what he was selling.
prove it.

Phooey! Bob and Dorothy were _both_ EEs, and Bob was a ham. They knew what they were selling when they opened the quanset hut on Talokas avenue in 1973, and they knew what they were selling when they expanded to the "UFO store" on Fairbanks.
And their son who runs it now grew up in the store.
Yeah; some of their prices are high (like on LEDs and discrete transistors), but there's no place in Florida you can find the kind of selection and wild sub-assemblies as Skycraft. If you need mechanical parts, it's the place to go.
LLoyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

Not really, unless you've never been outside of Orlando. I've been to REAL surplus stores like Mendelson's in Dayton, Ohio and Fair Radio, in Lima Ohio. Skycrap is just a junk store with electronics. I used to sell truckloads of stuff to them, and they NEVER got any of my good stuff.
Did you ever buy anything from Sonnetec when they were in Altamonte Springs? How about Acme in Sanford?
Mendelson's is a full city block, in a six and a half story building. The last time I was there, they had over 1.5 million pounds of screws, nuts, bolts and rivets on the first floor, along with cheap relay racks, and all kinds of mechanical parts. The third floor was all electronics. It takes a full day to walk though all of the isles just ONCE, and the prices are a hell of a lot cheaper than Skycrap.
prove it.
In the bay area there are several - one I went to from time to time is :
http://www.weirdstuff.com /
Specialized - but not to bad. There are others.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

-
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

I've only been on the west coast twice, while going to, and coming home from serving at Ft Greely in AK. Both times was the stopover was in Seattle. That was in '73 and '74.
prove it.
Reminds me of a simple bike computer I arranged years ago in Kansas circa 1981. Some calculators would do a constant addition when the = key was used so a hall sensor across the the key and the right constant gave good tracking of the distance, worked well generally except the calc chosen didn't like Ks outdoor winter temps and would shut down once outside for a few minutes mid winter. Those were the days when I was harder than consumer electronics.
Don Foreman wrote:

Hmmmm--- First you said you went to Discount Steel and now you say Ax-Man. Sounds like a Mpls/St.Paul guy.
Pete Stanaitis, 40 miles east of 3M Center. --------------------------
Don Foreman wrote:

Fridley.

I used to live just off University and 61st in the late 70's. Gee, I wish I had half the money I spent on beer, women and song back then. Steve

For those not near the Axman, look at page 4468 in the MSC catalog. $9. for a 4 digit LCD counter.
They are about $5 apiece on eBay also, I have a couple.

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 15:21:37 -0500, Don Foreman

Hung one on Puppy's collar one night - she did 14000 steps on that short walk. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
Gerald Miller wrote:

Yeah, but he's walking on FOUR legs. <G>
I learned something I never knew before....just last week...
Most quadrapeds, like your dog, our cat, or even you (When crawling), move their legs forward in a LF, RR, RF, LR sequence when walking.
But a few four legged animals walk differently, notably the camel and the giraffe, whose walking gait is LR, LF, RR, RF. I've never ridden on a camel, but those who have say their's quite a "sway" from their gait, causing some novice riders to suffer motion sickness.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Ahhh, Jeff, hate to point this out, but you just described the same sequence twice; you just started it in different places...
What happens is that a horse moves his LF and RR more or less at the same time, then moves his RF and LR. The camel, on the other hand, moves his RF and RR together and his LF and LR together. In other words, the horse has diagonal feet on the ground together and moves straight where the camel has feet on the same side on the ground together and sways side to side to keep his balance.
And, yes, you can get royally seasick on a "ship of the desert."
Jerry
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 22:37:31 GMT, "Jerry Foster"

I believe horses can also be trained to do right side, then left side - it's called "pacing", used sometimes in harness racing.
snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.hfx.andara.com wrote:

I believe the horse is the only FOUR gated animal. ...lew...