Thoughts on IGNITION TIMING

While doing my first strimmer/weedwacker conversion I've been pondering on simple ways to make things lighter and more versatile:

The flywheel on the new, unknown make engine I'm converting seems rather lumpy, even after skimming on the lathe. This is because it houses some large (ferrite, alnico?) magnets which drive the coil which directly fires the plug.

It just so happens that I have some neodymium magnets the ideal size to drive the coil. They are much lighter and more powerful (although I could use even smaller magnets).

It means that, since I have to make a prop adapter anyway, I could also have a much lighter aluminium disc "flywheel", with re-positionable neo' magnets. To balance the disc, i can either bolt a steel tab to the opposite half, or drill holes in the disk on the magnet side.

This led me to think about IGNITION TIMING:

1) Basically, the faster a magnet spins against a coil, the higher the voltage. The spark, however, will jump the gap at a set voltage (more or less). This means that at high revs, the spark should occour a little sooner, which is good. But is it sooner enough? I gather advance spark timings of 20-25 degrees are quite common.

Since the relatively modern neodymium magnets are much more powerful and lighter there is now much more scope to experiment with magnet position and distance from coil than before to optimise auto-adjusting spark timing.

2) The same applies to transistor fired spark ignition: Instead of using a hall effect switch to trigger the power transistor, a small magnet and coil could be used. The advantage of this would be that ignition timing would be automatically advanced as in 1) instead of employing more complicated advancing methods (timing circuits or processors). The max voltage from the coil could be limited by a zener so as not to blow the transistor base.

Incidentally, neodymium magnets have a low operating temperature of only about 120C, so they must'nt get too hot (electric flyers note).

A question: Why are power mosfets not used in ingnition cicuits?

Reply to
markzoom

snipped-for-privacy@digiverse.net wrote: ...

How about these:

Capacitive Discharge Ignition (CDI) (with MOSFETs):

-

On paper page 15 there is a diagram a MOSFET based smps step-up and a SCR driven ignition coil:

MSD-6A Multiple Spark Discharge Ignition A Technical Report:

-

Check this for MOSFETs:

v22:
"...IRFIZ34..." /Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Møller-Holst

Aha! Excellent, thanks. I'm much more at home with mosfets and their low control current.

Reply to
markzoom