Ignition modules

A while ago we discussed a solid state ignition module (made by Atom in Australia IIRC) which could apparently be used to replace the coil points
and condenser in a variety of flywheel and other mags. ISTR there was a question mark over availability in UK, so I don't know if anyone actually got round to trying it. Anyway, with the current popularity of mini moto toy motorcycles, similar modules now seem to now be cheaply and widely available on ebay. Sadly they wont help with the twin spark coil for my Maytag 72 (that engine is turning out to be a bit of a dog) but could be worth a try for other things.
--
Nick H

DJ Turfcare Equipment Address: MJF Yard, Chiddingford Rd Dunsfold Nr Godalming, Surrey GU8 4PB ENGLAND Phone: 1483 200 976 Fax: 1483 200 983 Email: snipped-for-privacy@djturfcare.co.uk
Appear to be the UK agents. There was a dealer in Bristol, but everytime I went down there, they were shut!
They were not expensive, Nick. Would two units would do the job?
Regards,
J. Kim Siddorn, Regia Anglorum
This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and the information in this message and/or attachments may contain protected health, legally privileged, or otherwise confidential information. If you, the reader of this message, are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you may not further disseminate, distribute, disclose, copy or forward this message or any of the content herein. If you have received this E-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the original.
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may or may not indicate the established policy of Regia Anglorum. It is the society's principal to rely solely upon hard copy communications in dealing with contractual matters.
This computer is protected with daily updated anti-viral software, but it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure their incoming mail is virus-free.

I've hazarded 7-50 incl P&P on one from ebay seller
--
NHH

Arrived this morning so, at lunch time I stuck it across the pole pieces of a mag (80w charging set type) and lo, it gave forth of a spark. Not the sort of spark which would blow your eyebrows off you understand, but then I had paid no particular attention to getting a good magnetic circuit so shall we say it shows some promise at least.
Now, I wonder how one times the blighter in the absence of points? I guess it must have some sort of trigger device built in which breaks the primary circuit at the point of maximum rate of change of flux, or perhaps when primary current has built up to a set level.
--
Nick H

Coo! As I have an EW 80W sans spark, are there any more modules where that one came from?
Regards,
J. Kim Siddorn,
"Nick H"

Have a look on ebay (search "mini moto ignition coil" etc). Plenty to choose from, though the guy I bought from (edibledevil) doesn't seem to have any at the moment and, as I said, he was only 7-50 incl P&P on 'buy it now'.
--
Nick H

A bit more experimentation, this time with Wico A body, electric drill and timing strobe:-
The device only fires on one half cycle (ie once per rev) just after the rotating magnet passes the 'neutral' position and seems to show some automatic advance as the revs increase. Though it is clearly capable of generating high voltages with a good spin (as I found when the plug came adrift at speed and the spark continued to jump the 3/8" or so gap), the spark remains curiously 'weedy' looking - certainly not as fat as one would expect from a good conventional mag - so I guess it must be of lower current or duration?
--
Nick H