Bofors (Enfield) genny

Enfield TS flat twin engine.

I took the ignition generator off today. Inside, is a single coil with condenser, all obviously bran new just as the chap I bought it from told me. However, there is no spark - nothing at all, even when I place my shrinking pinkie on the end of the lead.

I put a meter across the coil. It has continuity & isn't leaking to earth. The earth end was a little corroded - but no, no good came of it! The flywheel has little magnetism left & I think that is the root cause.

I dimly understand that one can run a double ended coil off a 12v battery via the existing points. I say dimly, because I've never attempted it, although I have a basic grasp of it.

Would some kind soul talk me through it off list as I'm supposed to be exhibiting it at the 1,000 engine rally & the days are trickling away .....

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

For better or worse the mag on my Enfield has been gutted and an external

2cv coil fitted, wired exactly as it would be in the Citroen. I imagine the rewound Enfield coil could be used in the same way, though I don't think I'd chuck 12v at it without checking the primary resistance - kick off with just enough voltage to give a current of about 1 Amp (I=V/R) and see if you get a spark, tweak as necessary to obtain satisfactory spark with minimum current.

BTW. This may well finish off what little magnetism you have left in the rotor.

Reply to
Nick H

I've been doing a little scratching around with my old bike bits & have discovered that Honda CB250N HT coils are 12V double ended, delivering a waste spark on the exhaust stroke. I scratched around some more & found a condenser, flashed 12V across the end of the LT lead & Lo!, an HT spark. They *do* like to fire together, letting one dangle in space definitely reduces the strength of the spark on the other, so that's that problem solved. Deo volante - ie, if the weather's nice - I'll jury rig it tomorrow & see how I get on

They are probably not alone, certainly the CD175 is the same but 6V.

I had mulled over supplying the nice, shiny, rewound coil with a few externally supplied volts & thought the same about it being likely to be 6V. I don't have an easy access to 6V supply other than ganging some AA dry cells, so was brave & flashed 12V across the Enfield coil whilst I had it off yesterday.

Nothing. Not a flicker, even though it has continuity & is not shorting out. Very strange - perhaps it IS the coil then ........

regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc!

Reply to