Tiny Tim

Dear All,
I've just acquired a "Tiny Tim" generating set with push button
starter. I've been assured it works and I have no reason to doubt it.
However, I can't get it to start. I'm using a 12v leisure battery
(checked and this is ok) and have connected this to the Lucas coil the
machine came with. All connections in the engine look to be in order
to me. I've connected the positive terminal of the battery to one of
the spade connectors on the coil marked "SW". I've connected the
secondary output (the middle bit) from the coil to the spark plug.
I've connected one of the spade connectors marked "CB" to the circuit
breaker (this is inside the cover of the engine and is connected to
the condenser). I've connected the negative terminal of the battery to
the engine casing to earth it. I press the starter button and nothing
happens ? any advice as to what I'm doing wrong please?
Thanks,
Ian.
PS: Any other info on this item would be appreciated.
Reply to
Kingsnavy
Tim,
Not to sure about Tiny Tim but you seem to have made a lot of connections, what does the contactor do? A self start charging set I had of another make only required you to connect to the charging terminals the switch over was done internally by pressing a button. I certainly would not use a liesure battery to start it as the characteristics of these isLow power long life where as a car battery is high power short life. You may bugger the battery.
Martin P
Reply to
Campingstoveman
The battery should have it's own connection, the coil connection is too small for the starter current.
I think that if you put the battery onto its own connections, which may not be immediately visible then it will work OK. The starter takes a hundred amps or so and will have connections inside the terminal box IIRC.
Peter
-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:
Peter A Forbes
No mention of a starter motor or the connections from battery to it that others have mentioned. These are normally done in thick cable, 1/2" or so in diameter as the current drawm by the starter motor is quite considerable...
Reply to
Dave Liquorice
The generator is the starter on these, so the current draw is nothing like that required for a starter motor.. I would say some continuity tests need to be carried out on the wiring.
Tom
Reply to
Tom
Thanks for this. If I understand this correctly I think I should connect the battery to the terminals which are marked on the casing B+ and B-. I thought these were the output to another battery to charge it? Do you think this is correct? Assuming I connect the battery (will try a car battery) to these terminals then I assume I would put the circuit breaker connection to the CB terminal of the coil so where does the SW connector from the coil go to - earth/the casing? If I had a diagram I could see it but I'm confused at the moment as you can see!!
Regards, Ian.
Reply to
Kingsnavy
You still need the umph to turn the engine over and that umph has to come from somewhere...
I'm making the mistake that a small single cylinder engine of
Reply to
Dave Liquorice
It's definitely the generator which acts as a motor (starter) until the engine fires after which it reverts to a generator. There is no starter motor (I think) on this machine. Regards, Ian.
Reply to
Kingsnavy
That sounds OK to me, my reference to the starting current referred to breakaway current, not the actual turning over current which would be less. Sorry for any confusion caused.
Peter -- Peter & Rita Forbes Email Address: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk Web Pages for Engine Preservation:
Peter A Forbes
The SW connection went to the B+ terminal. Pressing the button started the engine and it runs really well. Still can't figure out why it works! I thought the switch was in series with the battery and the SW contact from the coil went to one contact on the swith and not the battery? I thought the other end (contact of the switch) went to the positive battery termnal ? It's confused me. Thanks for your advice - once I realised my mistake regarding the output on the terminals was where the battery went it was fairly easy to get it going. Strangley I got up at 6 o'clock this morning to see if it worked!!
Thanks, Ian.
Reply to
Kingsnavy
I seem to remember that our Tiny Tim was a 6 volt system? Funny how you forget details after only 60 years or so . . .
Jack in Oz ==========
Reply to
Jack Watson