external condenser for old tractor

I have an old 2n that has a square can coil that fits on top of the distributor. I am converting to a more reliable round coil similar to what the 8n used.

I am wanting to use a condenser that is external, meaning not inside the distributor.

Does anyone know of any vehicles that came with an external condenser so I can go to my local parts store and pick one up.

The coil I am going to use is one from autozone that needs no external resistor.

Thanks!

Reply to
stryped

Use any condenser that will fit on the two terminals on top of your new coil. Case of condenser (capacitor) is attached to the terminal that goes to ground. Wire goes to terminal that goes back to your distributor's breaker.

You will need to keep the condenser clean.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

NO!!!!! Do NOT put the condenser across the coil. The condenser goes across the points. On a negative ground system that is from the negative terminal of the coil to ground - and it is MUCH preferred to have the condenser as close to the points, electrically, as possible. On the old Ford, the wire from the coil to the points bolts to the side of the distributor - and you would connect the lead of the condenser to that terminal, and ground the case to the distributor.

On a pos ground system it is from the pos terminal of the coil to ground - and is connected the same way at the distributor because the foil/mylar type condensers used for ignition systems are NOT polarized caps - they work just as well one way as the other. Connecting the coil backwards will give you starting problems, and possibly misfires under load due to possible low spark voltage and reverse plug polarity.

Reply to
clare