Very cheap event counter

I believe the horse is the only FOUR gated animal. ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Hi Don,

Something else to keep in mind are bicycle "cyclocomputers"(sp). Mine are getting a bit old, but they use a magnetic reed switch and a magnet is affixed in between spokes. They need to be setup/calibrated to the diameter of the wheel being used. Usually that consists of consulting a chart and then holding buttons down as instructed.

MPH or KPH and some models have pedal cadence inputs too.

I know they wouldn't do what you want here, but I always thought that they could be used to solve other odd problems. They have become remarkably inexpensive nowadays.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Urp....Well, at least I understood myself.....

There ARE no other words, "Those ARE the words."

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
jtaylor

Icelandic horses (the best ones) apparently have five gaits.

Reply to
jtaylor

The bicycle computers are great things. I have an old series 2 Landover with the modified guts from two series 2 speedos and have mounted the bicycle computer's magnetic pickup inside the now working speedo. It uses the already spinning magnet on the speedo cable inside the speedo to get it's own signal. There does not appear to be any problem with the one magnet providing both systems, but you may have to think about the mounting to suit your situation.

Although there isn't much advantage in using it on the road, it works happily at the massive speed the Landrover does. Where it does shine is at low speed across the paddock where it gives me more accurate speed information and both a total and elapsed distance since set.

As a small farmer this is an advantage across the paddock simply to know if I can reach with a sprinkler and it's 100 metres of 2" poly pipe.

Hope this helps, Peter

Reply to
Bushy Pete

Made a programmable odometer for the old rallye car years ago using a manetic reed switch and a calculator. Punch in the factor, and the reed swith closed the contact for the += key. Each turn of the wheel was a decimal fraction of a mile or KM.

Reply to
clare at snyder.on.ca

Empty post with an atachment that has no dot sufix. ??????? ...lew...

Reply to
Lew Hartswick

Orlando? Nobody lives in Orlando! :) I used to work as a broadcast engineer at WACX TV, but I lived on the North end of Lake County. Skycrap definitely isn't a real surplus store. A lot of their stock is priced higher than you can buy it for new, with a warranty. There were two other surplus stores about 15 years ago, but they are long gone. Another moved to the Carolinas about 109 years ago. The owner of that store was a retired E.E. who knew what he was selling.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Phooey! Bob and Dorothy were _both_ EEs, and Bob was a ham. They knew what they were selling when they opened the quanset hut on Talokas avenue in

1973, and they knew what they were selling when they expanded to the "UFO store" on Fairbanks.

And their son who runs it now grew up in the store.

Yeah; some of their prices are high (like on LEDs and discrete transistors), but there's no place in Florida you can find the kind of selection and wild sub-assemblies as Skycraft. If you need mechanical parts, it's the place to go.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Not really, unless you've never been outside of Orlando. I've been to REAL surplus stores like Mendelson's in Dayton, Ohio and Fair Radio, in Lima Ohio. Skycrap is just a junk store with electronics. I used to sell truckloads of stuff to them, and they NEVER got any of my good stuff.

Did you ever buy anything from Sonnetec when they were in Altamonte Springs? How about Acme in Sanford?

Mendelson's is a full city block, in a six and a half story building. The last time I was there, they had over 1.5 million pounds of screws, nuts, bolts and rivets on the first floor, along with cheap relay racks, and all kinds of mechanical parts. The third floor was all electronics. It takes a full day to walk though all of the isles just ONCE, and the prices are a hell of a lot cheaper than Skycrap.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

In the bay area there are several - one I went to from time to time is :

Specialized - but not to bad. There are others.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I've only been on the west coast twice, while going to, and coming home from serving at Ft Greely in AK. Both times was the stopover was in Seattle. That was in '73 and '74.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell