Wanted: Plans for stuff I can make on a milling machine

I have a mini mill but I don't have a lathe. Does anyone have any plans for some cool things I can make with my mini mill? Those little engines look fun to build but they seems to require a lathe.

Thanks, Gary

Reply to
User Example

The pinnacle of milling success would be to make a handgun. You can buy replacement barrels instead of making your own.

Ignoramus26750

Interesting idea. I don't think I want to venture down that path, though. I'm afraid I'd just hurt myself.

But my curiousity is up. What kind of tool would be used to make the rifle spiral in the barrel?

Reply to
User Example

I am sorry, I think that I was not clear. I was suggesting to buy a complete, factory made replacement barrel instead of making your own.

Ignoramus26750

A HighStandard .22.lr barrel is very easy to assemble to a receiver, as it uses a single spring loaded stud to pull it to the receiver...which can be a milled single shot action if you want to start small and easy

Gunner

Gunner

That would be a good start, yes, stay away from automatic action etc.

Ignoramus26750

When I was an apprentice, I made an electric ignited, black powder, .22 cal pistol.

I used the end of the barrel from an old .22 rifle, and attached it to a frame that I designed, and made. I also made oak grips for it. A Cox glow plug was installed in the barrel to ignite the powder. The trigger pivoted into a mini switch to energize the glow plug from the battery that was hidden in the grip. That's been over 20 years ago. I still haven't gotten the nerve up to test fire it. :)

The plan was to hold it in a vice, then string a long wire to the glow plug so I could be a safe distance away. The problem is that dad sold his farm which doubled as my testing grounds.

Reply to
Dave Lyon

jim.wilkins

I always thought it was just a button broach, but this looks interesting;

Bart

Again, I must add here that I suggested buying a complete, professionally made barrel.

I would not want to use a homemade barrel....

Ignoramus12383

While the following artist is a complete idiot on any subject besides that involving his work...he indeed is an artist and does beautiful work

I call him RCMs very own "Rainman"

Gunner

Gunner

This is the artist I was looking for:

I mainly use my mill to make custom tools, repair parts for old machines & vehicles, electronic hardware and robot parts for work, and components for other machines I'm building.

Reply to
jim.wilkins