Water vs Oil Hardening (Drill rod)

I've been using drill rod as cheap ways for roller bearings. I've always bought oil hardened, but water is cheaper. What's the difference?

Thanks, Phil

Reply to
Phil

The difference, on a high level anyway, are that W-series will get harder...I believe about 3 points on the Rockwell C scale, someone may be able to correct that...and that W- series will warp ALOT more in heat treat. Which isn't a problem if you can do a finish grind on a part or it isn't going to matter.

There are other differences, such as yield point, tensile strength, etc., but as I said, those two are the high level differences.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

In my experience, water-hardening drill rod has significantly better machining properties than oil-hardening.

Reply to
David Anderson

Chemically they are different animals. W-1 (water hardening) is nothing more than high carbon steel, typically 1% C, .3% Mn and .3% Si.

O-1 (oil hardening) has more alloying elements, .9% C, 1.2% Mn, .35% Si, .5% Cr, .5% W & .2% V.

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

The chemistry is different; O-1 is a more complex alloy.

W-1 is more prone to distortion during hardening than O-1.

If you're not hardening it, W-1 should serve just as well in your application as O-1.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson