Water Well Drilling Accidents or near misses

No, don't blame the lawyers. They are only doing what they are paid to do. Doesn't mean it's right, but that's their job. If they didn't push even the groundless suits on behalf of their clients, they'd be sued by them.

Part of the blame falls on human greed, and there is not much that can be done about that.

More of the blame belongs with our legal system, and with dumb juries. The juries who, on looking at someone's injuries, decide on that basis rather than on liability. Get smarter juries, who have the guts to say "You are a real dumbass and that was a real dumbass lawsuit and you get nothing". And who have the guts to then say "And because it was such a dumbass lawsuit, not only do you get nothing, but you and your lawyer are going to have to pay the legal expenses of the person you sued". And a legal system that will allow them to do so.

Yeah, I've heard the arguments against that sort of system. The worry that large corporations (such as the tobacco companies) would deliberately incur astronomical legal expenses that would scare off anyone attempting to sue them. But I'm not suggesting that the loser always pay - only when the lawsuit is deemed frivolous and without merit.

Chasing ambulances when they have the right to stop and back over you wouldn't be much fun.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

Walter Matthau and Jack lemmon in the classic "The Fortune Cookie". Matthau plays the crooked laywer.

Reply to
Scott Moore

You've got that right. I was on a jury recently. The settlement demanded was obviously inflated beyond belief, but when we got in the jury room the first thing discussed was how much we should award, and they were talking

6 figures. I was outraged, and made that *very* clear to the other jurors. It took a lot of talking, but I finally got them to reduce the award to actual proved cash losses, about $1500.

Georgia recently passed a frivolous lawsuit bill. It calls for treble damages to be paid by the parties bringing the frivolous suit, but only the judge can impose it. Judges are *very* reluctant to do so (they're part of the same club as the lawyers).

Heh, heh.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Most of my post was discussing how the legal system (and the lawyers, part of it) actually works pretty well, and protects the companies by giving them insurance to cover their risks, and a corporate veil so that whatever they do, the officers of the corporations are never held personally liable for whatever their company does.

I was being a bit ironic when I suggested that you could shoot the lawyers and dismantle the existing system. The CEOs would *not* want that because it is mostly to their benefit. Again the irony is, they complain about the one aspect of the existing system that causes them financial loss, and would lobby to change that, while keeping the rest of it intact.

The companies being sued can *indeed* fire all their lawyers and insurance companies, and operate without their protection.

They won't do that. :^)

So I think it's disingenuous for them to insist that the public give up the same protections they enjoy. In short I agree with you 100%.

Tort reform. Sure. I'll go for that - as soon as they pierce the corporate veil and make execs personally liable for malfeasence.

Jim

jim rozen

For the record, I've reported for jury duty five or six times over the course of the last 45 years, and each time the lawyers learned I was an MIT grad and an engineer I got preempted right out of there.

Only once did I feel that being shut out was reasonable, and that was because I happened to know socially a doctor in my town who was listed as being one of the witnesses in a liability suit. The judge said that if any potential juror knew any of the litigants or witnesses they should speak up. I did, and was excused.

Just my .02, but I sure hope I can live out the rest of my life without ever having to depend on the wisdom and fairness of a jury of "my peers".

Jeff (Who's noticed that life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end the faster it goes....)

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

He'd probably starve to death before he had time to change anything.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I have had similar experiences, but in my case they did not care where I graduated. Just being an engineer and likely to use logic was enough.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Caster