welding well drilling coupling

whats the best rod for welding a taper threaded coupling adaptor?

Reply to
Wwj2110

My opinion? 7018!

Ernie?

Harold

Reply to
Harold & Susan Vordos

Tapered thread? I thought you DIDN'T want a tapered thread, or you might never be able to separate the pieces of drill pipe?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

7018 is a good choice as long as you have reasonably clean metal. Maybe do a root pass with 6010 with 7018 over that.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

"Tapered thread? I thought you DIDN'T want a tapered thread, or you might never be able to separate the pieces of drill pipe?"

these threads just pull the male & female together & tighten up against a face, unlike a pipe thread.

"My opinion? 7018! Ernie? Harold"

thanx guys 7018 was my guess too as I didnt have time to wait for my post to be answered. I had chamfered the weld edges so the parent metal surface was clean. Now I can blame you guys if the assembly breaks 200' below ground.

Reply to
Wwj2110

Yes, but think of all the cool equipment that is used to retrieve a drill head down hole.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Welding with 7018 is not for the newbie. For the newbie, I would suggest

6010 or 6011. If you know how to weld 7018, it will be a thing of beauty. If you don't, it will look like mud daubing. Be careful not to blow a hole!

What is the diameter of the pipe? What is the wall thickness? All VERY important factors.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Ernie,

I didn't want to reply here cause I ain't the expert, you are. On my my work like this with thick objects, I'll use a root pass with 7011 for really deep weld penetration, then follow up with 7018. Is this just as good as starting with 6010?

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I have never seen 7011. Sounds like 6011's stronger cousin.

In order of penetration. Highest to lowest.

X010 X011 X018 X014 X024 X013

The first digit denotes minumum tensile strength and has no effect on the flux content.

6010 and 8010 both use the same flux. 7018 and 9018 both use the same flux
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

My mistake, I meant 6011

Karl