Way OT: cell phone audibility

Hi buds.

Even when turned it up all the way and placed my ear directly over the speakers 'sweet spot' on my Motorola T-720c, the sound level was still insufficient.

If there was (any more than moderate) background noise, I was forced to ask the person on the other end to constantly repeat and talk louder.

I googled just now. Another user had posted a reasonable fix.

It took about four minutes to remove the back cover, four torx screws and the LCD module from the front cover. I discovered which of the two speakers is used for phone audio and opened the front cover speaker hole from 0.04" to about 0.230" diameter, an area increase of about 33 times.

After carefully replacing the adhesive dust grill and reassembling the unit, I took it outside for a test.

Murphy smiled upon me. Just as I was getting a response from a bookstore, a garbage truck hauled down my street at full acceleration. Though the sound of the truck engine was loud enough to be painful (no exaggeration), I heard the person at the bookstore loud and clear.

Suddenly, I can use the phone in real world situations.

Hopefully this will be useful to other folks stuck with the same product.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Wow! A simple idea to solve an age old problem!

Koz (who is look> Hi buds.

Reply to
Koz

Have a hearing test done - now! Then you have a baseline when you sue for loss of hearing later. 'There was no warning sticker on the unit about opening up that hole." Great big f***'n grin!

Regards. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Davey

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

Too late...about 20% loss in each ear and constant ringing that drives me nuts. When there is any background noise, I might as well be deaf anyway. Hey..maybe I could open the holes and then sue to get new ears put in. It's the american way so I better take advantage of it! :)

Koz

Reply to
Koz

(Snip warranty-voiding operation on cell phone.)

I could talk to a lawyer about that, but not with a straight face.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Best way to get rid of that constant ringing is to take the batteries out of the cell phone ;)

Reply to
Nick Hull

Interesting tip... thanks!

Reply to
John Hofstad-Parkhill

I had similar problems on an Erricson 237 phone I used to use. The problem was metal filing from grinding got attracted to the speaker magnet in the phone. It was an easy fix once it was disassembled and made a large difference. Could be a problem if you carry or leave your phone in the workshop geoff

Reply to
geoff m

You're welcome!

Geoff M wrote: > I had similar problems on an Erricson 237 phone I used to use. The > problem was metal filing from grinding got attracted to the speaker > magnet in the phone. It was an easy fix once it was disassembled and > made a large difference. Could be a problem if you carry or leave your > phone in the workshop > geoff

If mine starts 'buzzing' on certain sounds, I will know what's happening. How did you clean the speaker, adhesive tape?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston