WAY OT: Lunch-lady moustache question/poll

When I was in high school, I encountered the first woman I had seen to have a moustache of more than barely-perceptible peach fuzz. Though it wasn't a
full moustache like most men would have, it consisted of relatively long, dark hairs. She worked in the cafeteria as a cook/server.
I had completely forgotten about her until I heard a funny song Adam Sandler wrote about the school lunch-lady. He referred to her as having a moustache. I thought it was an unlikely coincidence that the lunch ladies at both our schools had moustaches.
Then on a hunch, I asked four other people at work if they remembered the cafeteria workers from their high schools. Of the four, three remembered at least one of them as having a moustache like I described above, and one simply couldn't remember anything about having lunch in school. Discounting the one who couldn't remember, we're five for five on mustached lunch-ladies, counting Adam Sandler and me.
What's your experience? Did your lunch-lady have a moustache? Granted, a poll of five is by no means statistically significant, but does anyone have any ideas as to why mustached female school cafeteria workers would be commonplace?

If you were born and raised in your early years in a Sicilian neighborhood, like I was, you'd think middle-aged women who didn't have mustaches were the odd ones. Maybe you had Sicilian cafeteria ladies.
-- Ed Huntress
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:27:24 -0500, the renowned "Ed Huntress"

Can't remember high school but the cleaning ladies in our Univ. residence generally had moustaches. Munchkins from the Azores, they were.

I grew up in northern Minnesota--not a lot of Sicilians in my area, mostly Scandinavians. The people I've asked (before posting this) were all from Minnesota and Wisconsin.
I should mention that my personal position is that facial hair is nothing for a woman to be ashamed about. It might not be attractive to some men who equate visible facial hair with masculinity, but as you mentioned, for Sicilian women (and women in certain other parts of the world) it is the norm.

Sure. Just so they don't wax 'em. They're kind of thin and silky, and they look like little hooks when they're waxed and turned up at the ends.
-- Ed Huntress
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:03:54 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,

Yes, they did both in Arkansas (7th grade) and California (8-12, 2 different schools.) I thought it was the most disgusting thing.
I think it was a Federally mandated thing, diversity and all, even way back then. Ick! ;)
--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
quickly quoth:

It's downright bizarre. It kills me that I'll probably never understand the connection between school cafeterias and females with facial hair.
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 17:29:44 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,

Isn't it, though? Mayhaps it was a hormone-reduction attempt. They fed the women tons of testosterone in an attempt to limit our own production during the school years.
Women with mustaches, making schools safer for little girls everywhere!
--- Chaos, panic, and disorder--my work here is done.
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 15:20:37 -0800, Larry Jaques

I dont remember.
It was the 60s afterall....
Gunner
quickly quoth:

mmmm, our canteen lady looked like Freddy Mercury, it was a decade later though in the 70's
Gunner wrote:

Well it was the 40s for me. Course I don't remember either. :-) ...lew...
On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:35:28 -0700, Lew Hartswick

Mid '50s for me and I don't recall any staff other than the lumber camp trained cook although he must have had some paid help. Servers were volunteer students who were released ten minutes early from class and got their meal free of charge. Meals were 25 cents for meat, potatoes, vegetable, pudding and a glass of milk. An extra helping cost a nickel. The menu was posted a week in advance, and if you had a strong dislike for a particular meal, you were welcome to bring a lunch from home, go elsewhere, or go hungry. Gerry :-)} London, Canada
<snip>

Gunner I'm shocked, you didn't inhale did you??
Bill

cough cough..harsh man...really harsh....
oh man...all the Oreos are gone man...groan...
Shrug..it was the 60s
Gunner
I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos shoed that Bill
rec.crafts.metalworking :

    It was the sixties - you didn't have to inhale.
    Oh man, oh man, oh - he, what was we rapping about?
pyotr -- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries
Lunch Ladies had everything a young man could want, mustaches, muscles, hair on their chests! To this day I describe a bad meal as a "school lunch"
What I want to know is why there is always one Lunch Lady who escaped and works at the DMV, you have all seen her , she's the one with he lipstick all the way to her nostrils!
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:03:54 -0600, "Adam Corolla"

Google hirsute and hypertrichosis.
--Andy Asberry-- ------Texas-----