OT!!! Saying Hi.

And letting you all know that I'm still alive. Still in the UK, still on holiday. I've been keeping up with the group thru Google (randomly), but it seems like a shadow of its former self. I wasn't going to register with GG so I could post, but it seems like I'll be away for a while longer, and I'm missing my 'fix'.

Hope you're all doing well.

Rob G (The Aussie One)

Reply to
Boris_in_Oz

you anywhere near yorkshire, sheffield in next few days?

Reply to
Jules

Exciting times to be visiting Albion. Take care, Rob!

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Sorry Jules, but I don't plan to head that way for a little while. Let the water go down first... Did you manage OK with it all? Stupid question, you're online... Did you get back to Germany recently? Last I saw you were heading that way again.

Heading off to Nth Ireland on the 20th for a couple of weeks, then I'm going to get my arse into gear and tour around - lots to see. I'll drop you a line when I know my itinerary a little better if that's OK?

And while I'm here... for those of you doing this through Google, how do I put a name at the top, instead of my email address? I've looked and I'm jiggered if I can find it. Thanks.

Rob.

Reply to
Boris_in_Oz

Thanks Bill, I will. Good to see that some of the old guard are still around! I was looking at a couple of old posts last night, chasing some information, and wondering about the bods we don't see any more. Wonder were they went?

Take care Rob.

Reply to
Boris_in_Oz

Im on the top of a steep hill, so it didnt effect me directly, but those below, a lot was destroyed, damaged, and dead....i got my internet back a couple of days ago...was without for a week

Been back from Germany a little while, good trip,

im due to go aain in 3 weeks if i can afford it.,

ok, if you head to yorkshire, let me know, even for a hour of meeting up...

no idea, i tried it once while i was away but couldnt do it....but i didnt really try

Reply to
Jules

Good to hear from you Rob, If you get ever get to Colorado you have a tour guide ready and waiting. We plan a trip to Australia in January of 09 hopefully for a month or more. Looking forward to that for sure.

Reply to
Count DeMoney

Thanks for the offer. I had 2 days in San Francisco on the way out, then 2 weeks on the West Coast of Canada, so I only *just* missed you. (c: If I ever get back that way, I'll get in touch. And you'd better give yourself more than 1 month to see Australia...

Rob.

Reply to
Boris_in_Oz

I will indeed Jules. Thanks again.

Rob

Reply to
Boris_in_Oz

Hi Rob

When were you in SF? Next time give me a holler and I'll take you on the hobby shop tour. I'm in Marin County, just a few miles north of SF.

tOM

Reply to
maiesm72

Hi Tom, Arrived SF 29th March, flew out 31st. Only went there to satisfy the terms of my ticket, but now I wish I'd had longer. Ah well, not to worry. It'll still be there if I get back. And I'll def give you a holler - it's always nice to have local knowledge. Spent most of my time there recovering from jetlag, so only really saw the city centre etc. But I did get to the top of Telegraph Hill and also Lombard St (how can you not visit Lombard, eh?). Only trouble wth going back is that I'll have to interact with those ignorant pigs you call Immigration again. Not the best welcome to the home of the brave etc that one could wish for.

Ah well, not to worry. Thanks for the offer, I might just take you up on it.

Rob.

Reply to
Boris_in_Oz

It's not just you 'furriners. :-)

Comming back from the Med in June HS pulled me out of line. I asked the young lady if it was a "no fly" hit. She nodded her head "yes" and stated "I'm sorry, sir, that's something I can't comment on." The interigator took my passport and DL. I mentoned to him that my wife and son (in his wheelchair) were getting the baggage and we had only one hour to make the connecting flight to SFO. He obviiously knew that I wasn't the subject as he told me to go get them and the luggage.

We sat there for an hour and a half, just enough time to miss our connecting flight! Having done investigative work in the past I casually chatted with the OD people and found that "my" guy went to lunch. When he got back he handed me my papers and told us to go to a specfic desk where Continental was actually able to get us on a non- stop flight in less than two hours.

It was a bit difficult, but do you know what really had me pissed off? I was able to determine secure information in less than a minute, was allowed to come and go from the secure compound freely and determined personnel duties in less than ten minutes...and THESE are the people that are supposedly protecting us?! In the old "Level Four" days this was known as the "Stone Lions At the Gate" school of security.

See you on your next trp.

Tom

Reply to
maiesm72

What a crock. That's all I have to say about that. (c:

And I'll make sure to get in touch before the next visit. Thanks again. Rob.

Reply to
Boris_in_Oz