[Way OT:] Microwave oven now "Lazy Man" clean

(...)

You are right of course.

I retract my statement about porcelain because it has only 'moderate' thermal shock resistance in relation to the other varieties of vitreous whiteware which range from 'good' to 'excellent' in thermal shock handling capability.

Apparently sparkplugs are weenies WRT thermal shock. :)

Or so says The CRC handbook of mechanical engineering (Second Edition, bottom of page 12-97) By Frank Kreith, D. Yogi Goswami

--Winston :)

Reply to
Winston

Ah, the second strike.

Turns it into something slick as goose shit, does it?

It sure sounds safer than boiling water.

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

So all porcelainized ceramics are the same, are they, Win? And the same thickness, shape, etc?

IMHE, chimis were never a problem. Mexican food is purt much self-regulating.

I guess with lots of water to mitigate thermal shock, it might be considerable less unsafe, but for that terlit bowl with a bit of internal stress already there, it could push it over the edge. I suppose that the wax ring would survive all this, though.

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

They're also quite effectively heat-sunk.

Yogi Bearswami?

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Nup.

Not enough people would participate. AMHIKT

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Nonsense. A couple minutes at 50 C every couple years isn't going to be enough to soften the seal. Beeswax begins melting at 63 C.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Pedro's; The Thinking Man's Laxative

(...)

If the 'thermal strain knee point' for vitreous porcelain was as low as you imply, we would be seeing catastrophic disassembly of fixtures every night. It just doesn't happen.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Now, try new and improved "Pedro's Extra HOT!" You'll be screaming "COME ON ICE CREAM" after this one.

Every night, someone pours boiling water into a toilet? Interesting.

cracks that I can find, but lots of caveats. OK, I'm done.

-- We're all here because we're not all there.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

(...)

Not water. The equivalent is a used chimi dinner.

You can tell that many of the writers don't have any personal experience, they are just babbling advice that 'feels right'.

I really liked the ones who advise using a plunger *after* the hot water.

Oh Well.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I haven't seen one of those, but, if I do, I'll run the other way at high speed. I find that "flush twice" toilets still have a long way to go before I would rush out to buy one. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller