weird requests

Yeah, it was racist. There are degrees of racism, like everything else. It's not cross-burning racism, but referring to her as "black" is putting her in a category that is irrelevant to the subject. And that's an -ism.

It's human nature to divide people into "us" and "them". It's also human nature to be able to change. A lot of racism, and stereotyping in general, is unconscious. It's something that was picked up and is practiced without realizing it. I am now appalled at things that I have said or done when I was (much) younger, without realizing it at the time. But I learned and still am learning. Often because it was pointed out to me. Perhaps that is/will-be the case with Sunworshipper.

Why should one listen for it? Is old-or-young, white-or-black significant? "Us or them" is natural, but we should be aware of when it's happening and be careful about how we use it. E.g., not referring to someone as black when it's irrelevant and in a negative context ("Weird requests").

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Well that depends on how many citizens the pol screwed over p*ss on his/her grave.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Why mention that she is a lady? ...or that she is old? ...or that she wants her toilet fixed?

Why did you pick up on that one characteristic that he happened to mention and not the others? Would it be better is he just said that a "person" called him? Wouldn't be much of a story would it?

Are you a badge-carrying member of the PC police?

Where the hell do you get off?

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn Simon

Wow, people need to get a grip. This PC mediocrity world is never going to happen. How was I to convey this story? I put in old cause she obviously is not calling the right person, so that's bad cause I hate senile people? I put in female cause I hate females thus it should have been it? I guess I was implying it was human and thus left out all those who believe in aliens thus it should have been a being, no what about AI robots? Blast, artificial sounds pretty derogatory doesn't it? What about the mode of communication, I must think lowly of half sentient "life forms" with or without phones. Best not mention the waste removal machine cause lots of others around the world just let it hit the dirt.

People are going to pretend that they never have preconceptions? Can't happen, untrue, if it were to be there would be no laughter and no cringing when the tool meets the work. Face it your going down the wrong road and will never convince me otherwise. When a disheveled bum makes a B-line for you, nothing crosses your mind that it is going to ask for money???

I'm very comfortable with myself and happen to see the colored and no colored signs come down as a little kid. And I laugh like crazy to stuff like Sam Kinison and Richard Pryor.

Reply to
Sunworshipper

Good call. I wrote the other one around noon, but had some spelling problems that I finally got around to fixing.

Reply to
Sunworshipper