Welded with the 7018

Tombstone buzzbox , 1/8" rod at 120 amps on 3/16" steel plate . Some surface beads , an inside corner bead - all horizontal . It likes a short arc , as y'all told me . What you didn't say is what a pretty bead it makes ! I had reservations when I saw that big ol' bead of slag . But when I busted it away , which was pretty easy , underneath was as nice a bead as I've ever laid . Did a bit of inside corner, and that was even prettier ! Nice slightly concave rippled bead with equal fill on both legs , great penetration , and not a bit of undercut at the edges . Now it may just be beginner's luck , but I just can't see the rep some have assigned to this rod . I was welding on a piece with light surface rust . I've read that restrikes are hard , so I tried it both with hot rod and with it cold - with the same rsults , no problem at all with striking an arc . Just gotta tap hard enough to crumble that shroud of shield coating that sticks out past the electrode itself . As long as I've had this rod laying around , I'm going to have to assume it's picked up some moisture . For that reason if I need to weld something that needs to be low-hydrogen it'll be with new rod . But for general around-the-shop welding I can see using it anywhere I'd use the 6011/13 rods .

Reply to
Snag