Wera screwdrivers

Hi folks,

I just bought a couple of screwdrivers made by Wera. I'm in need of a good selection of new screwdrivers and I'd heard good things about Wera, so I decided to try them out. I've come to the conclusion that cheap screwdrivers are a complete waste of time and money, just like cheap adjustable wrenches and anything which needs to be accurate and wear-resistant.

They look and feel really nice, so I'm thinking of buying eight or ten. But before I do, I was just wondering if anyone here has personal experience of Wera screwdrivers and knows how durable they are? I know I'll find out in six months or a year, but I could really do with some new screwdrivers right now. They look good - nicer than the more common Stanley screwdrivers - but occasionally looks can be deceptive.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

They are among the best you can get. Wera, Wiha and PB are the top brands. I bought a Wera set recently when I realized that my set of screwdrivers looked like a pile of junk.

I'm using Wera bits (for the cordless) since years and they last longer than any other.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

Thanks for the opinion, Nick. I'm very tempted to treat myself to a set of Wera screwdrivers. My screwdrivers are at that "pile of junk" stage right now.

The Wera ones look and feel good. It seems that they still know how to make good tools in Germany!

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

I have no input on Wera brand. Electricians make their living with screwdrivers. They all use Klein. They're still American made I hope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ DanG A live Singing Valentine quartet, a sophisticated and elegant way to say I LOVE YOU! snipped-for-privacy@okchorale.org (local)

(national)

Reply to
DanG

Klein and Xcelite make excellent screwdrivers for typical tasks, but if you want saya #1 phillips or smaller that fits into tight places, you're better off with some of the german ones.

My preference is Wiha with the red caps for small things (#1 or smaller) and Xcellite for #2. The #2 Wiha phillips drivers have a head that seems too small.

Anything sort of works for #3.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

That's the right stuff for miniature work, electronics, watch repairs etc.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mueller

I had a few Klein tools, they are okay. I think the reason a lot of electricians have them is simply that the Warehouse they buy from has them.

My favorite screwdriver was a "S K Hand Tools 73517 - Screwdriver Bit Set Magnetic 5 Piece Included Handle" see:

I had two of the 7 inch like this and one that was shorter. The longer 7 inch was really nice for mounting boxes of all sorts (panels, disconnects, 4 square...) and not hitting your knuckles. I used that screwdriver with a large straight bit more than any other tool in my pouch. When the bit got toasted (oops!) I would just replace it and still have my pet screwdriver just like new!

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I have no Idea who made my most favoured screwdriver, or even where it came from. When I got it (someone left it behind, possibly a telephone installer, some forty years ago), it looked as though its purpose in life was the opening of paint cans, and stirring the contents of same. It has a straight blade 5/16" wide by 3" long protruding from a yellow, transparent, four flute handle, 3" long with a black, swiveling end cap. There are no identifying marks of any kind on this tool, otherwise I would have hunted down, and bought the full set. IIRC, I did touch up the blade once, shortly after it joined my toolbox. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Naturally not for the grease pit or like place, but I like Wheeler.

Fits the screw slot perfectly and doesn't slip.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Nick Mueller wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

use

tasks, but if

places, you're

smaller)

that seems

I've been using a black handle Wiha #2, with the shaft that goes all the way through the handle (not for electricians) in my shop for the better part of 10 years. Always works great on the right size screws, and the tip looks as new as the day I bought it.

Can't say that about any Stanley or Klein I've ever owned.

Len

Reply to
Len

Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like Wera is a sound choice. I'm looking for larger screwdrivers as I already have a quite a nice CeKa set of jewellers screwdrivers. I don't think Klein are available in the UK. Wiha and Xcelite might be - I've certainly heard of them - but I'm not sure where.

Thanks for the advice.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Hell it can't! I'm an Electrician and I use an all-Stainless Leatherman Wave Tool every day, several times a day, and no problems.

You just have to be pretty (darned) sure that there's no power on the screw in question before you use a non-insulated tool... (D'Oh!) ;-) And it's a pretty safe bet cover screws are not energized.

Saves carrying the big pouch around all day.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman