What does ABS and INC stand for in reference to a digital read out on a milling machine?

What does ABS and INC stand for in reference to a digital read out used on a milling machine?
Thank you all in advance.
Rod
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:55:18 -0700 (PDT), rodjava

ABS = Absolute. A dimension from a pre-ordained start point, and . from which all dimensions are taken. . That point is often called "center".
INC = Incremental. A dimension from the last point.
Add pictures here
βœ–

ABS    Absolute -- that is referenced to a known start point on the     machine or the workpiece.
INC    Incremental -- each move starts from where it is as 0, 0, 0     (X, Y, and Z), moved the specified distance, and then considers     where it has landed to be the 0, 0, 0 point for the next move.
    Usually in CNC machine commands, though I could imagine using a DRO in incremental mode for some projects.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
βœ–
Brian, Don, Thanks for your help. It's very clear to me now.
Rod

Add pictures here
βœ–
I missed the Staff meeting, but the Memos showed that rodjava
in rec.crafts.metalworking :

    ABS - absolute movement, from a set zero point. You move to "grid location" x,y,z. Distance as the crow flies.     INC - incremental. Movement relative to where you are. You move "over" in X, Y or Z. Distances if the crow has to walk and carry a gas can.
    ABS will tell you where you are, relative to where machine Zero is set. INC will tell you where you are, relative to where you started keeping track.
    Switching these in a DRO will not get you in _as much_ trouble as switching them when setting up the program. E.G., when you rapid a head 12 inches in X thinking "move to X12 Y0" when the program is already at (X6,Y0) and in INC mode ... can you say "Head Crash"boys and girls? Knew the guy who did just that, and it destroyed the machine - cost more to fix than the company figured it was worth. -- pyotr filipivich "I had just been through hell and must have looked like death warmed over walking into the saloon, because when I asked the bartender whether they served zombies he said, ‘Sure, what'll you have?'" from I Hear America Swinging by Peter DeVries
Add pictures here
βœ–