what is involved in stud welding?

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:54:00 +0100, Mark Rand vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

OK. Is that enough to form real AC welding? I suppose under the massive currents of a shorted cap, it could be.

It's all really old, but won;t the massive size of the cap, compared to the very small inductance, affect this somehow?

**************************************************** I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry ........no I'm not.
Reply to
Old Nick

Only works when discharging into a coil, guys. The cap stores DC, pure and simple.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

So what are the wires leading to and from the cap?

Tim

-- "I have misplaced my pants." - Homer Simpson | Electronics,

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --+ Metalcasting and Games:

Tim Williams

Daring to stick my food deeper into my mouth here.....because there is some inductance inherent in any circuit, wouldn't any discharge product ringing of the waveform to some extent? I seem to remember seeing oscilloscope traces of shorting capacitors that showed a ringing covering the notion that you had to make sure and control that or you'd get all sorts of interesting results.

Oh yea...for those who missed it, I already admitted I was full o manure in my previous statement so you don't need to flog the issue more :)

Koz

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.>>

Reply to
Koz

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 14:36:01 -0700, Koz vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

But you _can_ spell hobbyist!

**************************************************** I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry ........no I'm not.
Reply to
Old Nick

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:57:03 GMT, Old Nick postulated that:-

f= 1/(2*pi*sqrt(L*C). It doesn't really matter whether they are similar sizes or not for the resonant frequency. The important thing is that resistive losses in the capacitors and cables (including Tan(delta) losses in the capacitor insulation) are small compared with the loss across the joint being made. You want the joint to get most of the heat!

PS. The capacitors themselves probably have fairly significant self inductance as well.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand