What is it? Set 522

Yes, the patent is titled "Hand Potato Planter"

Reply to
Rob H.

Yeah, the FDNY started to use them some time after I moved from NYC in

1951. I believe that instead of shutting off the hydrants, they attached the sprayer caps. I don't know if they still do that since nearly everyone has AC and the PD and FD would rather have less people and kids on the streets.

Apparently they still use the caps.

Thanks Google.

Reply to
willshak

This one is designed to do five, or four sided controlling stems. The notch in the center across from the turning shaft allows for five sided. The two flats allow for four sided. I'll send photos, if you wish.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

is designed to do five, or four sided

[of the one I have, which is similar design]
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep that's one of the older ones. We have one for the antique hydrants (none of which actually work) in town. That was supposed to change two years ago but the town screwed up and lost the grant.

Reply to
Steve W.

Thanks for the offer of taking some photos, but I've seen similar tools on the web and don't think more pictures are necessary at this time. And I found a good page with photos of the tool being used, so I got that going for me...

Reply to
Rob H.

That's a sad state of affairs, when the hydrants don't work. Detroit has some problems, and many other areas, also. Who'd have thought the formerly great USA would be having fire hydrant failures?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Forty years ago, who would have thought that a city couldn't survive without federal welfare.

Reply to
krw

They were supposed to start on a new water system 2 years ago and have it in place now. All new mains, more coverage, extra hydrants and a 60K gal. reserve tank. BUT???????????

Steve W.

3044 looks very much like a scaffold foot to me.

No clue about any of the others, though.

Reply to
Aardvark

A picture

Leon

And or google for images

VTG WILLARD BATTERIES

Reply to
Leon

Who would have thought that our limited gov't would be so over reaching? Checks and balances don't appear to be functioning, today.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

All of Obama's checks bounced.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Naah, he's just added about 10 trillion to his overdraft protection, payable by our kids and grand kids.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

As long as Obama's cronies get their checks, who cares about balanced anything?

Reply to
krw

Thanks to everyone who identified the fire hydrant wrench! The items have all been answered correctly this week, the updated post can be seen here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

You do realize that's a wet pipe hydrant, which is much different than what's used in colder parts of the country? We (I'm in NY) use dry barrel hydrants.

Love that web page, I'd love to own some fire hose, adapters, and so on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon