What is it? Set 542

Posting from the usenet newsgroup rec.crafts.metalworking as always. (Also, my living room, for Stormin' Moron. :-)

3163) Well -- it serves to measure the angle of surfaces from the horizontal or the vertical. The calibration is in degrees, though the markings appear to be in some other language than English. Possibly Italian? The markings "D.T.", "DISTANZI" and "ADVANTI" and I can't make out the markings more distance from the end. 3164) Shock mount for shipping sensitive electronics equipment, usually used in sets of four to mount the equipment to the inside of the shipping crate -- or on sets of eight if used on both top and bottom instead of just bottom. 3165) This is a keyboard and press/punch for embossing Braille letters into plastic or paper -- probably paper, given the apparent age of it -- and the lack of a mechanism for indexing the paper or plastic to space the letters in a straight line.

I'm not sure how the paper or plastic is to be held down. With paper, likely just by thumb pressure.

3166) This one looks sort of like a universal clock winding tool. 3167) A strange thing. I could see it being used to unscrew jar lids -- but I'm not sure about the turret with the various widths of projections -- perhaps to fit into lock rings of some sort, with one flat position for normal un-notched rings (or jar lids). 3168) This one, if screwed to a wall or the edge of a countertop could be used either to grip a jar lid -- including puncturing the edge for better grip -- or it could walk around the edge of of a can cutting the top -- and the rim -- loose from the body of the can. Thus it would leave the can rather flexible and harder to grip. And -- it appears to fit only one diameter of can -- a fairly large one from the looks of it.

Now to post and then see what others have suggested.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Looks to me to be similar to a roofer's square in some respects. Slightly more up-market and expensive than this one:

FU set to rec.woodworking

Reply to
Aardvark

Based on the translations of the words on this device I'm now sure it's for use with some type of artillery, though I couldn't find another one like it on the web. I don't have an answer yet for the brass tool but the rest have been posted here:

Thanks to everyone who answered the piston groove cleaner.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

Why limit the followups to rec.woodworking -- especially since the later information seems to make it a military item -- an (artillery) gunner's protractor, not a woodworking tool?

I've reset the cross-posting as it was intended to be. This is one of the exceptions to setting followups to a single newsgroup, as there are people contributing from all three -- and most people do not

*read* all three newsgroups. I know that I only read rec.crafts.metalworking of the three.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols