What is it? Weekend Edition 5

I don't know the answers for number 19 and 21:

  1. Someone sent this in, I had a similar tool on the site a couple years ago, so you can test your memory with this one:

  1. The person who submitted the photo said "This came out of a boiler plant for a hospital I worked for back in 1988", I thought the patent would be easy to find but I didn't have any luck:

  1. Around 48" long:

  1. This photo was sent from Italy, the item is 12-1/2" high:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

You got me. I looked at all the pictures, and nothing familiar to me.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

  1. No Idea, but it was fun to see those wooden cheese boxes on the table.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

Reply to
jeff_wisnia
20 - Guessing: A probe for locating pipe, or some other object, underground.

Jeff may have hit onto something. Are the cheese boxes a clue? Does it possibly have something to do with cheese processing/making?

The wooden handle appears to be relatively clean... no stains or dirt from utility use.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Nope , it's a ground probe . Used to find soft areas (among other uses) to locate a leaky water pipe . I had never seen one until just a couple of weeks ago , the guy I've been working with (rental mtce.) had one in his truck , and I asked ...

Reply to
Snag

My guess is that #19 is a variation of this patent:

Which Jasper Fisher called an "exhaust head". Kind of a steam trap with no moving parts. It is a gizmo to catch and separate the water and oil in steam exhaust so it doesn't just get puked into the air.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

The Fisher Governor Company began with an invention in 1880. Its primary interest was to regulate pipe pressure by regulating pumps, regulating fuel, or relieving pressure. It also made devices to remove gases from liquids.

Reply to
J Burns

Is a "Tile Probe", used to probe the ground to look for stuff.

Zz Yzx

Thanks! I think you're right, it might even be the actual patent, I've seen a number of tools with inaccurate patent dates, two of the three date numbers are the same so it could have been changed by a typo, bad memory, or other error.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

As Snag also mentioned, this is correct, the person selling it said that it was a probe for finding drainage tiles.

Jeff had mentioned the cheese boxes that could be seen in the same photo, here is a better shot of them:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

That's quite the story about William Fisher! Thanks for posting the link, eih? phil

Reply to
Phil Kangas

A conference table at a swap meet? ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

What does cheese eat, anyway? ;-P

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

  1. Valve lapping tool.
Reply to
aasberry

------------------------------------- My Dad had a collection of those cheese boxes that he used in his shop to hold all sorts of small items.

My guess is that he acquired them in the '30s.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett
18: I'm thinking this is for grease cups, a single stroke of the lever gives the cup one 'turn'
Reply to
whit3rd

They were readily available until the late forties.The one I have downstairs is the one my Grandfather used as a sewing kit when he came to live with us after Grandmother passed away in 1946. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

Rob H. wrote the following:

#21 looks like it may be a basket to hold parts for dipping in a parts cleaner. I used a similar one back when I worked in a sewing machine company in the early 60s. The parts had to be cleaned of a preservative coating before machining. I do remember the cleaner was solvasol.

Reply to
willshak

Small engine valve lapping tool and a rather spiffy one at that; the blade with the two prongs and the reciprocating action are a dead give-away.

Reply to
Cecil

Good answer, it is indeed a valve lapping tool.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.