What is this caliper?

http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/caliper.jpg
One of my techs brought this in today and we have no idea. It is cool
though!
For measuring gear teeth

On Mon, 08 Aug 2005 15:54:04 GMT, "Tom Gardner"

Its used for measuring gears.
Gunner

A gear tooth caliper - they fetch pretty good money on ebay.
Ned Simmons
Ned Simmons wrote:

Why are the screws that hold the two legs together not set in a square pattern? Is there some benefit to that or was it just done freehand and didn't matter too much if they were square..
That's assuming they are screws..
John

Not seated in the drilling fixture correctly. They are square, just misaligned to the frame. Maybe a Chinese model.
Fred

No, its so that it can only be assembled one way.
Scott
Hardwired wrote:

Ah.. that makes good sense. Thank you,
John

    They fetch even *more* money new from Starrett or B&S. (IIRC, the Starrett price is near a $1K.)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

$1K? I picked a Starett 456A up a few weeks back for $20 - not on ebay though!

    O.K. The latest Starrett price list that I have is January 5th 1998, and at that time the price for the 456A was $759.00 (without case), and the 456AZ (same, but with case) was $787.40.
    The prices for the Metric (module) ones were similar.
    The somewhat larger 756(B/Z) was $911.00/$944.00. So by now, it is almost certainly up to $1K.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

    It is a gear tooth caliper. The vertical slide (as oriented in the photo) sets a stop to adjust how deeply into the gear the jaw tips can reach (to reach to the right height for measuring the width of the tooth at the pitch diameter). The other performs the actual measurements.
    I've got a set of Starrett ones (they make two sizes), and B&S also made similar ones.
    It is pretty difficult to make out the maker's name on the horizontal arm, but it seems to say "Made in Germany" below that.
    Enjoy,         DoN.