What parts to salvage/sell from a UPS?

I have three UPSes:

  1. Clary OnGuard 3 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
  2. Clary OnGuard 1 phase 5 kVa UPS, no batteries
  3. Ferrups 3.0 kVa inline model UPS (no outlets), no batteries

All are working.

I would like to demolish these UPSes, take out what I can sell and auction these parts on ebay. I recently demolished an even bigger Data General UPS (about 8 kW) and sold the capacitors from it for $75. The rest is a big pile of unidentifiable parts. Some look like huge diodes and transistors. I am afraid that some of those parts have value that I would have hard times capturing (maybe I took apart a large and usable rectifier, for example), so, I do not want to make the same mistake again.

I would like to know which parts of those UPSes are really desirable.

Capacitors?

Rectifiers?

Anything else?

Any thoughts on this will be appreciated. I will use this as an opportunity to learn about electronics.

Thanks!

Ignoramus18142

You might see if the specs on the diodes would let them be used for an AC to DC arc welding converter.

Paul

Reply to
pdrahn

What would such specs be? I can look them up.

Ignoramus18142

I have not seen much demand for older and heavier UPS gear.

I charge another eBay seller $200 per month to haul it away.

Reply to
Don Lancaster

That generally won't make any difference with these dogs. You probably have late 80s early 90s vintage units. Plus, these are low-end units that have no customer appeal.

The capacitors are probably appealing to the ghetto-blaster-car-audio-crowd. Other than a few relays and some MOVs there really isn't anything worth popping the hood for.

Some have Anderson connectors that you can get about $1.50 each.

Strip them for the fun of it, but don't expect to find any gold nuggets in them. Good luck and have fun.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Clarys are $10,000 high end units. Not that it matter, now that no one wants them.

I will probably convert the cabinet from the Ferrups unit into a meat smoker (smokehouse).

Maybe, but those were high voltage kind.

I need to take them apart to take them to a dumpster anyway...

What a hassle, I made $320 profit on this lot (on other pieces), but I hate every moment of owning it. Well, I got some useful parts out of those UPSes, but still I would not do the deal if I knew what Iknow.

What about the rectifiers.

Thanks. If I get $50 out of each, and some parts good for myself, I will be happy. Maybe I can get my retired FIL to do some disassembly in exchange for "profit sharing".

Ignoramus18142

I had dozens of them new on the skid and couldn't give them away. Yes, they were very expensive when new. This is due to the uneducated people in the government's purchasing department.

Never handle any UPS unless it's an APC unit of 2200VA and above. And you should never handle any three phase units made by anyone else but APC or Liebert.

Now that is a great idea. I wish I had thought of that. You might want to list one on eBay.

Some of the older units used either a 12 or 24 VDC configuration and had these larger caps. The newer 48 VDC and above units don't have anything worthwhile in them.

I forgot to ad that you do have some heavy-duty transformers in these things that you can use as a crude welder if you don't already own one. Save the rectifiers for this purpose as well.

It's not even worth it with a forklift. Just be careful that you don't drop a nut screwing with these things.

See above. There is probably little eBay value in them unless you do some creative writing.

I really like your smoker idea! Have fun and good luck.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Wow look at Rita showing off her considerable knowledge of three phase UPS units!

ef

Reply to
EF in FLA

I made about $2,500 to $2,800 on APC 1,400 VA units, 2 years ago. Bought 2 skids with 28 of them, all with shot batteries, replaced batteries with help of a friend, and sold the UPSes on ebay.

The page that is dedicated to this project is here:

It has a nice front door and top cover both on hinges, nice for loading meat and cleaning.

The big UPS had 300 volt capacitors. I sold those.

Good point.

I discussed this on rec.crafts.metalworking, and concluded that i do not want to make welders. I could sell the rectifiers, if you think that they are worth something.

I have a hoist, which makes things easier, but till.

Thanks Rita. As always, I value your opinion.

Ignoramus18142

Reply to
RoyJ

anybody can google xxxxxxxx and be an expert parrot in no time.

fq

Reply to
fairmontquality

That's not bad. The 1400s fall well bellow our acceptable price per pound ratio and we don't screw with them. In today's market the 1400s are worthless. Even the Matrix 5000 is in the dirt. The Symmetras do extremely well off eBay.

I would try writing a creative description and a title that has creative uses for them and list them on eBay with a $50 starting bid. I find listing an item's alternative use instead of name and model number work great for items that don't sell.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

Yes, it seems times are changing. Even 2-3 years ago, Ferrups UPSes were selling relatively well.

I will give it a shot. I have a monster transformer that weighs

300 pounds. i
Reply to
Ignoramus18142

Like I said, sometimes I wonder just how feminine she actually is. She also hates gay men with a passion I've only ever seen in men.

Angrie.Woman

LOL! Maybe you're questioning your gender? Maybe I should be selling Beanie Babies instead of what I sell to be feminine? And no, I don't "hate gay men with a passion". I don't know what gave you that idea? You need to get your head out of your ass and see what women are doing in the world today.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

*Shrug* I might have use for the parts in one. Just how big are they again?...

Tim

Tim Williams

About the size of an office water cooler. I would say wildly, 1.5x2x3 feet. If you are in Chicagoland, you would be welcome to come and pick it up.

At least, you can salvage a nice 3 phase 8 gauge flexible power cord, heavy duty casters, capacitors, a bunch of copper, outlet strips, rectifier etc.

Ignoramus18142

There ought to be some big power transistors or SCRs. The SCRs, and maybe even the transistors, might look like "hockey pucks" between two large heatsinks, with bolts and springs compressing them between the sinks. Big transistors may also look like plastic blocks bolted to the heatsinks. You might just list these on eBay as separate items. The only people interested in these might be people fooling with electric vehicles.

And, you NEVER know what an item on eBay will bring. Some stuff I just couldn't quite bear to throw away, so I listed them on eBay, brought amazing bids. I sold a 1938 or so Bijur 35 mm movie camera that had been modified into a flight data recording camera by McDonnel-Douglas, maybe in the 40's or

50's, for $264! I STILL can't get over that one! You just NEVER can predict who is willing to pay how much for something.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I've got an old capacitor that leaked oil and shrunk, kind of like those shrunken apple dolls.

Now it looks like Tom Poston on acid.

Lumpy

-- In Your Ears for 40 Years

Lumpy