What parts to salvage/sell from a UPS?

Chuckle!

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

diodes

Do you ever find 12v dc power supplies through those government auctions? I am looking for about a 20 amp one.

Reply to
stryped

I do not have anything like that right now, I believe that I have a

24V or 48V one, but have not checked it out yet. Can you use a battery charger? I bought one at walmart for about $80, it can supply 20A 14 or so volts continuously. i
Reply to
Ignoramus6625

They have a bunch of powersupplies, including a number suitable for plating and so forth.

Ask for Ed Cisneros. Tell him Gunner referred you.

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

Reply to
Gunner

Add a hook to the door handle and you're all set!

Reply to
NSM

You don't want a battery charger - they are poorly filtered and poorly regulated. A good HAM radio mobile power supply, or one from a stereo (auto) demo rack does a good job. I have an 11 amp unit, and used to have a 25.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

I can't even give these away. Especially the old heavy linear ones.

How many dozen do you want?

Reply to
Don Lancaster

WHat type do you have?

Reply to
stryped

Clarendon, Bodini, Souvenir, or Optima.

Reply to
Don Lancaster

I need 13.8 volts dc for a 50 watt ham radio and maybe a 5 watt cp radio. What would i need, 20 amps?

What amperage would you have? What would you want for them?

Reply to
stryped

Don't waste your time screwing around and just go ahead and order a 20 Amp Astron and be done with it.

Rita

Reply to
Rita Ä Berkowitz

They are expensive and I am trying to do this cheaply.

Reply to
stryped

They are expensive and I am trying to do this cheaply.

Reply to
stryped

..another example of a question any 'real' ham should be able to answer for himself, IMHO....

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

A sequel to my own original question. Which parts to salvage was the question.

I salvaged quite a few parts.

One was a beautiful, flexible, in round tough insulation, 8 foot long

50A range cord, that I will keep for future projects.

Also a panel with 7 20A 120V outlets, each protected by its own circuitbreaker. I might install it in my shop.

One 100A rectifier, 1/3 phase reconnectable, I am selling on ebay and it already has a 19.99 bid.

There are some other pieces that look like big 100A transistors, I will sell them when I figure out what they are.

A shitload of screws, terminal blocks, etc etc.

Thanks to all for suggestions.

Ignoramus12588

All you need is about 6 amps (55 watts/14 volts=3.9, 55/12=4.6) , so a

10 amp unit would be lots.
Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

And if you want to have true Emergency Preparedness, for the same price as a heavy power supply go get yourself a 90AH or 105AH Deep Cycle RV battery and a well filtered small (2-amp) float charger.

You can run as big a transmitter you want as long as it's in normal short bursts. The charger has all night to bring the battery back up between uses.

(But make sure to put the battery in a well-ventilated protected area, not inside the house. Acid, Hydrogen... You can run #2 cable

50 feet out to the garage.)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman