What's better for machining PVC or ABS ?

What's better for machining PVC or ABS ?

Reply to
Alex

Can't help on ABS.

I've cut PVC without much trouble.

On a lathe, use a very sharp HSS tool bit. I had a little trouble here with the "chip" being one long string and plugging up around the part and tool.

On the mill, I used an air blast to cool and blow the chips away. Don't let the stuff melt or even come close. Use a very sharp HSS cutter. It was a small job so I didn't play much with speed and feeds. Kept things slow to avoid melting the plastic.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

ABS, I should think. But there are a whole bunch of different PVCs, some have a lot of plasticizer and are soft like rubber, others are more rigid like ABS. In any case, the melting point of PVC is much lower than ABS. Also the fumes from overheated PVC are more corrosive and poisonous.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Both machine well, if you keep some things in mind

  1. Scary razor sharp tool with a bit of positive relief
  2. High RPM and adjust feed to keep from melting, or use coolant if you want to make big cuts very fast.. Nothing wrong with using oil when cutting plastic (nylon..hummmm)
  3. attach the hose from your shop vac to the compound and suck up the curl.
  4. Both can be a bit abrasive to your tooling, so keep the tool sharp. Carbide is good if you can hone to razor edge.
5.both can shatter if you push too hard with a dull tool, though it tends to melt first 6 A nice big radius will give you a better finish. I cut both with a half round carbide tool a friend form ground. .125 radius t hough it tends to heat if I push the feed rate and cut dry.
  1. polish with a green or gray scotchbrite if need be, at high rpm

Gunner

  1. Lie
Gunner

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 06:07:00 GMT, Alex wrote something ......and in reply I say!:

yes

**************************************************** sorry remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I was frightened by the idea of a conspricacy that was causing it all. But then I was terrified that maybe there was no plan, really. Is this unpleasant mess all a mistake?

Reply to
Old Nick