PEX or PVC

I have about 200 feet of water line to run to my building. There are a few sharp turns. Would it be better to use pex or pvc?

Also, weather is turning near freezing here and alot of rain. Does that preclude even using pvc because of glue joints?

Reply to
stryped

Why not plain old black polyethylene? I wouldn't even consider PVC.

Reply to
Ned Simmons

My vote too. Use good metal(brass) bits on the ends (unions, pipe adapter, etc), not plastic.

JW

Reply to
jw

WHy not pvc? Is polyethelene allowed for water use and burried? Can it be attached to a pvc stub?

Reply to
stryped

I would use PVC. And there are glues for wet weather. That said, they ran polyethylene from the curb to the house. And has lasted 35 years.

Reply to
Bill McKee

I've been getting my water from black polyethylene for 22 years in good old near Lat 45 michigan w/o problems.

Wes

Wes

NSF rated poly.

Reply to
ATP*

Reply to
RoyJ

Stryped

Just another thought. Most of the PVC and the like piping can be obtained in very long lengths. Like 500' or so. This would be a coil of course. Plan your bends in advance so no els or sweeps are needed. And when you do go vertical be sure to use sweeps. Your water utility might be able to provide some guidance.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ
:

Stryped

Found a site that will probably answer lots of your concerns.

Bob AZ

Reply to
Bob AZ

PEX.

I just replaced a 130' run of PVC that leaked like a sieve with PEX. Use 1 inch or smaller PEX and you can use Sharkbite fittings. It bends around reasonably large radius turns - say 18" for 1" tube, so you can probably get away without 'L's. Careful use of a heat source might let you do a tighter bend.

PEX is easy to work with, can freeze without splitting (though the metal fittings can fail if frozen) and should last a lot longer than you. The cost is about $1.25 per foot if you buy a 300' roll.

The line I replaced was 1-1/4', so I ran a double line of 1" PEX to get roughly the same capacity. Going to a larger size would have meant buying a $2K crimping tool.

For the Sharkbite fittings, I was anal retentive about getting square cuts, chamfering the inside and outside of the cut end, and making sure that the tubing was completely seated. It's been about 9 months and no problems so far.

I got my supplies at

and had a good experience.

Bob S

Reply to