Copper or PVC?

My neighbor's got a leak in the hot water line running from the manifold in her utility room to the kitchen sink. The copper line is in or just
bellow the concrete slab. The plumber has to dig up a substantial portion of the kitchen floor to replace the corroded line. He's going to use Copper. Wouldn't it be better to use PVC?

FWIW the Pex heavy duty flexible line is a great solution. Hide it behind a mop board, etc and don't bust up the concrete
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 6:56:33 AM UTC-4, Karl Townsend wrote:

+1 for Pex, I used some to re-plumb hot water lines in the garage. Much cheaper than copper.
George H.
On 28-Jun-16 11:35 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

+2, Pex is cheaper, easier, quicker and better.
On Wednesday, June 29, 2016 at 5:52:14 AM UTC-4, axolotyl wrote:

Grin, My only issue with pex is that I bought a 100' roll of 1" stuff and it was a pain trying to get it straight. Hot air gun and lots of bending with arms... ughh. Maybe there's a better way to straighten it?
George H.
On Wed, 29 Jun 2016 08:22:06 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Cap one end, fill with hot water, lay out straight, drain to cool? A hot air gun might work, too, but that could pose problems. Maybe a hair dryer funnelled into the end...
I've only worked with it minimally so far, and the 1" was a beast to arc. I had to use hot water just to get the ends to go on the fittings, too. Once it's heated, it's much easier to work with. Of course, I did the refit on the whole house water filter in the dead of winter, just so I could experience cold PEX. :-\
--
Fear not those who argue but those who dodge.
-- Marie Ebner von Eschenbach
On 29-Jun-16 11:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Living in Australia I can roll it out down the driveway and let it lay in the sun for a few hours. Works for retic piping too. Probably not
On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 4:47:20 AM UTC-4, Tom Gardner wrote:

If it is hot water, you might use CPVC. But not PVC. PVC is not good for hot water.
Dan
snipped-for-privacy@krl.org wrote:

I done screwed up then , all the plumbing in our new house is PVC ... oh
--
Snag

That's why I have a problem gettingwater in my weighing cup up to 120+ to use in my bread machine.
--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

> That's why I have a problem gettingwater in my weighing cup up to

You have that problem because Canada is officially Metric.
On Tue, 28 Jun 2016 20:30:39 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"

As a lab. tech. etc. I have worked in SI (Metric) since 1960.
--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

with hot water . I only use mine for mixing and the first rise . FWIW I just started recently using Seal of Minnesota unbleached baking flour from the local Mennonite store . Beats the stuffin' out of the stuff we were buying at Walmart . Picked up a 50 lb bag just today ... I make all our loaf bread , hamburger and hot dog buns , bread sticks , pizza dough . The wife does the sweet stuff ...
--
Snag

Terry Coombs wrote:

"Mine" above refers to my bread machine ...
--
Snag

Using 120 F water gives me a dough temp of about 94 which seems to work OK.
--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

My bread machine has the heating element in the bottom , don't know what
it after the first rise . I've been using the quick yeast , rise time is about half of the programmed cycle .
--
Snag

The heating element on mine (B&D) is only for the bake cycle. I use Fleishman's "Bread Machine Yeast" and recently discovered that it should be refrigerated after the jar is opened.
--

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.ca wrote:

I use their bread machine yeast too , says quick rise on the bottle . It only comes out of the freezer long enough to measure it into the mix .
--
Snag

On 6/29/2016 12:13 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Cooking is art, baking is science with a bit of art mixed in.

And both take a simple focus, which most people don't seem to have. If you simply _pay_attention_ while doing either, the results can be truly spectacular.